General tech questions

Solid State vs. Tube for Electric Bass

I've been getting my Bill Wyman on here, enjoying the new Bass.

How might I expect "clipping" at low frequencies on my Solid State set-up?

The Electric Bass is making much fuller use of the Power than any of my Electric Guitars. Much louder....might be a peculiarity of the Low Impedance pickup?

Just dialed everything full on the LR Baggs Para DI including Gain...what a House Rocker!

When will I blow everything up?

I built about a 20% Safety Factor into the Amp Head, and the C15N Speaker is sized just so to test being Overdriven.

That Low E note, 41hz?, is a curious thing...

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

What sort of bass are you using?

What sort of amp?

Bass amps want a lot more power than guitar amps as it sounds like you might already know.

I imagine your speaker will go first

Are you trying to overdrive the amp??

I'm just hoping for comments from folks who have experience with both SS and Tube.

My SS is 50W, a ChipAmp with nice specs, been using it now for close to a decade. It's just a Power Amp, and with it I have the LR Baggs.

What is surprising is how loud it is. The notion that an Electric Bass would need more Power seems backwards compared to when I use an Electric Guitar in the same set-up.

Odd observation I guess. But, I haven't heard "clipping" like on a Stereo HiFi. I would think Bass notes would clip sooner than Higher notes? I have heard what I think to be clipping with my Adamas A-E...but, only when I add too much Gain. In that case, it may be the Pre-Amp saturating, too, not the ChipAmp.

As I play the Bass more, it seems a great match.

I think it is the Low Impedance pickup...it is an Epi Jack Casady Bass.

It may also be the confined space and longer wavelengths...

Solid state is great for bass, especially if you're after a very clean tone at all volumes up TO the point where clipping occurs. Its deficiency (if it is one), is that when it DOES clip, it's a much uglier sound than when tubes do so progressively, and more harmonically.

With solid state, it's sudden, harsh, and very much more like something's wrong. Rather than a smooth contribution to the tone, SS clipping destroys the tone. When you get there (if you do get there before popping a speaker), you'll know it. I doubt if you'll like it.

It'll be interesting when I can get some time in a larger space...

Solid state is great for bass, especially if you're after a very clean tone at all volumes up TO the point where clipping occurs. Its deficiency (if it is one), is that when it DOES clip, it's a much uglier sound than when tubes do so progressively, and more harmonically.

With solid state, it's sudden, harsh, and very much more like something's wrong. Rather than a smooth contribution to the tone, SS clipping destroys the tone. When you get there (if you do get there before popping a speaker), you'll know it. I doubt if you'll like it.

– Proteus

There's nothing quite like the "distinct tone" of PNP square-wave clipping, particularly in the 40-200hz range... eh Tim?

brown-note city.

I'm just surprised it isn't clipping...it is the Texas Instruments/National LM3886 chip in a well-filtered circuit, then with a toroidal transformer.

I like this same Amp/LRBaggs set-up when I play slide on the StratPlus with Lace Sensors.

That's when I would expect it, but I haven't yet tested full gain and volume.

The chip does have some level of built-in oversaturation protection...I'm using a 4 ohm load.

http://www.ti.com/product/L...

Register Sign in to join the conversation