General tech questions

So what’s the hot tip to reinforce an output jack…

Not helpful for this particular incident, but as someone who steps on cables a lot, I always wrap the cable around the guitar strap to leave some slack at the jack. Several of my guitars do have wear marks from this technique, but better than any more cracked guitars.

– Mel Waldorf

Wireless for me. No stepping on cords and no zaps to the mouth from mics and questionable venue power.

Tim, why don't you start making some MagSafe cable ends?

I first learned about the Snap Jack instrument cable with magnetic ends that uncouple if you step on your cable. But, no one was selling them any longer. A year or so ago, Geoff Vane alerted me to the fact that there was an eBay seller who was selling brand new Snap Jack cables, so I ordered a couple of them. They were about $19 per cable. Each cable came with a straight tip and a ninety-degree angle tip. And the cable is a high quality instrument cable.

I know that this is after the fact, but you might keep your eyes open for the Snap Jack cables as they would probably have prevented this problem from occurring.

You know, with all these old time rockabilly guys on here, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a mention of what was done to Carl Perkins' 55 Les Paul.

Now if I can just find the pic I posted here some years ago...

The only disadvantage I've found to the oval jack plate is that they put the screw holes in the same grain path as the hole for the jack itself, which makes for an easier crack path later. Particularly in a case like this where the wood in that area has already been stressed.

The square plates put the screw holes perpendicular to and aligned on a grain path parallel to the grain path that passes through the hole for the jack, although I suppose that you could alter the curve of the oval jack plate to change the alignment of the screw holes as well.

Whatever fix you decide, best of luck with it.

-I don't know if her inches are bigger than mine...

Seems to be true in our household

– Deke Martin

We have a joke about this : it comes from years of telling them that THIS (showing hands about 5 inches appart) is 10 inches long!

When you're done, make sure you put a toothed star washer on the inside so the nut will stay snug. If you need to tighten, you can do so without fear of spinning the jack. And, yeah...always right angle plugs and run the cord up around the strap.

I'd have a luthier glue a strip of reinforcement (veneer) on the inside of the guitar, around the jack hole. But that's just me, apparently.

– WB

Who you callin’ a jackhole?

Yeesh...tough room.

I first learned about the Snap Jack instrument cable with magnetic ends that uncouple if you step on your cable. But, no one was selling them any longer. A year or so ago, Geoff Vane alerted me to the fact that there was an eBay seller who was selling brand new Snap Jack cables, so I ordered a couple of them. They were about $19 per cable. Each cable came with a straight tip and a ninety-degree angle tip. And the cable is a high quality instrument cable.

I know that this is after the fact, but you might keep your eyes open for the Snap Jack cables as they would probably have prevented this problem from occurring.

– Ric12string

friends dont let friends own a cable like this. Its literally the Shamwow of guitar cables! ( I recall WB gettin miffed at Geoff when he posted this, haha) https://i.chzbgr.com/full/6...

Barbed wire cable and bare feet works for me.

One of these, and loop the cord up around the strap button.

One of these, and loop the cord up around the strap button.

– Billy Zoom

right!

cheers

As long as you don't have a recessed, Tele-style, jack cup like on my Roundup, the standard Switchcraft right-angle plug like Billy showed is a good idea.

When I wonder about mods like this, I ask WWRD, What Would Reverend Do? If anyone's thought a lot about any particular aspect of guitar design, it's Joe Naylor. Here's their jack plate.

I usually go wireless now, too (I've put a moratorium on my own use of Roland GK-3-based guitar processing in favor of better tone, among other things), but yesterday (in mid-solo) my Line 6 G70 crapped out intermittently during a show, so I may put a moratorium on wireless, too.

The Reverend plate is pretty cool-looking!

Reinforcing the inside is definitely a good idea. Putting the plate on the inside is not. The screws would have to come from the inside, or you could do it without screws. Either way, you'd need a longer jack.

Veneer might be good enough for reinforcement. You could also try a Kevlar bass drum patch!

Register Sign in to join the conversation