General tech questions

Screwing down bigsby

Hi all, I recently read that Chet and others used to screw their bigsby to the top of the guitar through the spring cup, anyone else do tried this and like it dislike it? I like that it's hidden, and I've already screwed my melita to the top, so I'm not afraid to drill. Under real heavy use, my bigsby still slides slightly from side to side, so that's why this idea piqued my interest!

I personally don't see the need, but then I use heavier strings that keep bigsby's a little more in line. I use mine all the time and it's never been a problem. I guess if you're using 10s and lighter it might be an issue. I don't screw down my bridges either. I put a small pin in the bass foot of the bridge and there is a corresponding tiny hole in the top. The bridge is still floating, can be removed, and it never moves.

I'm using 10s now, GHS nickel rockers, but was thinking of trying the 10.5 big core nickel rockers, I think the tiny bit of extra tension could help. My only concern was if I switched to a hardtail bridge the hole would be visible, but then I can't imagine my jet without the bigsby, so that's not really an issue.

I've done it twice. It eliminates movement caused by slop in the hinge pin, helping with tuning stability. It made no difference to the tone either way.

Oh we're talking about a solid body guitar Give'er then!

I don't see it affecting the tone I'm just loathe to drill holes in a hollow body if unnecessary May apolgies for the mixup

Oh yeah! I guess that was key info I left out, it's a silver jet, not a big hollow body, I'd be apprehensive about that too, but I have no problem drilling the jet lol. If I did it, would I leave the felt pad under the bigsby? Also, anyone have problems with a creaky Duane Eddy arm? I put one on a while ago and love it but it's always made noise and I just noticed the nut that holds it on appears too big and hitting the spring possibly? It creaks when I use it, turn it around etc, can I put the stock screw in it?

I'm inclined to try it on my 6120. I don't like the weird "creak" when it moves side-to-side. I've just been too lazy to do it every time I change strings.

I'm inclined to try it on my 6120. I don't like the weird "creak" when it moves side-to-side. I've just been too lazy to do it every time I change strings.

– Otter

I'm glad to hear you noticed it too, that's when it happens the most drastically, the side to side, not smooth at all for an otherwise perfect feeling handle. I did manage to remove the creak from the up-and-down motion by taking out the little plastic washer from under the spring, now it sits lower and the action feels a little squishier/smoother

My TV JONES SPECTRASONIC SUPREME came with it stockwise!!

I've done it too and it works well.

What size/type screw do y'all use?

Does your Spectrasonic have a B12?

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

Yes, it's B 12.Here's a pic of the screw.IMO a good solution.

Doesn't the B12 have to be screwed down? The tension bar wouldn't work otherwise. I thought we were talking about the single-bar Bigsbies

Doesn't the B12 have to be screwed down? The tension bar wouldn't work otherwise. I thought we were talking about the single-bar Bigsbies

– Otter

Why shouldn't it work with them too? It's the same as a pinned bridge

So I ended up screwing the bridge down and the difference is night and day, everything feels more precise, solid and tuning stability is off the charts now. Also, I don't know why but the creakiness and friction of the Duane handle went away, no idea why except maybe because I removed the plastic washer

Register Sign in to join the conversation