The Workbench

Rookie Question

Thinking of going from 10s to 11s. How will the extra tension affect the Bigsby? Adjustment required? Change the spring?

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated ...

I've really never had a problem with this.

That said, I'm on the anal side and "fine tune" my Bigsby units.

Some think I'm nuts, but that's ok. I make sure that the Bigsby is aligned properly on the guitar, and screw it down.

Even string pull on the bridge is the end result, and that's a good thing even on a pinned bridge.

Playing with different Bigsby springs is a good thing too, just to get the arm height and tension to your liking.

I'm sure that others will chime in with their ecperiences.

On what guitar?

If it's a pro-line, the spring will be fine with heavier strings, and in fact the Bigsby should feel a little limberer and more responsive. If it's an Electro or Streamliner, that will also be the case - but less so, because the Bigsbys on those seem to ship with a stiffer spring.

I keep a stash of Reverend's Soft Springs on-hand, and when a Bigsby isn't smooth and responsive enough for my taste - ie, takes too much effort to depress, gives you less pitch bend than the effort you're putting in, and/or the arm bends more than the pitch wobbles - I put in one of those. At 10.00, they're a bargain.

Note that when you change gauges, you will probably also have to slightly widen the string slots in the nut, as they're generally cut for the factory-installed gauge. This is a ticklish operation, at least for me. But if you don't, you're almost sure to have strings binding in the nut, causing tuning instability you may blame on the Bigsby.

But it's the nut. It's almost always the nut.

BIgsby's were designed when most people were using what would now be thought of as very heavy strings. I feel they work best that way I use 12-52s on all my electrics, all with bigsbys, stock springs, no special adjustments and they work well.

As mentioned already you should check always your saddle (s) and your nut when you change string gauges.

Sometimes the nuts on the wheels can be as important as the nuts behind the wheels

BIgsby's were designed when most people were using what would now be thought of as very heavy strings. I feel they work best that way I use 12-52s on all my electrics, all with bigsbys, stock springs, no special adjustments and they work well.

As mentioned already you should check always your saddle (s) and your nut when you change string gauges.

Sometimes the nuts on the wheels can be as important as the nuts behind the wheels

– Toxophilite

Nuts?? "Ohhhhhh Fuuuuudge"

“ ... and a thing in the stock that tells time!”

Register Sign in to join the conversation