General tech questions

Reverend” Bigsby Spring - Anyone Using These?

Just heard about this spring offered by Reverend. It's supposed to be a lot "softer" than the factory Bigsby springs.

Has anyone tried these out? Comments...........likes/dislikes?

Appreciate any input about these.

Softer springs are better for sure. I'd love to hear the answer to this question. My guitar repair guy won't let me raid his Bigsby spring drawer anymore

I have one installed on my NS Guild X175B. The improvement is marked from the original spring (I tried a 1" and 7/8"). The licenced Gigsby was uber-stiff. Adding the low tension, 1" spring really helped improve execution on all fronts.

I had the same experience as Andy J w/ my X175B. The stock 7/8th spring was way too stiff. I tried a genuine Bigsby 1" stainless spring and that felt better but was too tall and when I bent the Guildsby arm down to compensate I no longer could swivel the handle back to get it out of the way or fit it in the case. Found out about the Reverend "Soft Spring" and for $10.00 took a chance. Amazing results. The Rev spring is 1" plus but compresses down to the perfect height and the feel, control, range and sensitivity is the best I've ever experienced with any Bigsby. Best 10.00 I've ever spent. Highly recommended.

I've bought a least a half dozen over the past six months. They are good, but not all the same. Some are "softer" than others. I'd buy a few and use the one that feels best.

I tried one and loved it. I'm gradually changing my guitars over to the Reverend springs.

Put one on my power jet a few months back. The feel is great but it sits really low with TI 11's. I put a penny under spring. Still considering bending the arm, or getting rid of that plank of a pickguard.

Put one on my power jet a few months back. The feel is great but it sits really low with TI 11's. I put a penny under spring. Still considering bending the arm, or getting rid of that plank of a pickguard.

– Jay Ridgeway

Funny that you should say that Jay, as I generally take the pick guards off my Gretsches.

I've always wanted to get the "arms" a little lower with no pickguard, so these springs may just help this out.

Since I've playin my Reverend spring any stock Bigsby feels like a fake.

JD. you're going to love them. I got two and put them on my two tension bar Bigsbys, my Guild Starfire V and G&K ASAT with a Bigbsy B5. They make all the difference in the world and have tamed the Bigsbys on those guitars. They now function as easy or easier than the B6 types on my 6120 and X-170.

For tension-bar Bigsbys or for other Bigsbys that seem too tight, they are $10 well spent. If you don't like them, you're not out much at all.

I am using one on my ES-345 with a B7 and it works very nice for me. Thanks john

TSims (over at "the other" forum) uses, and SWEARS by them....so, sounds like you will probably like it.

I haven't tried one, but, I've heard nothing but positive reports.

Yup. You'll also notice lighter string tension, especially in longer scale instruments. Worth trying, for sure.

I've found they are GREAT for Bigsbies on my non-Gretsch Guitars (a D'Angelico ES-XX and Gibson ES335).. However, I prefer stock springs on my Gretsch guitars.

Again, appreciate all the input.

With 6 coming my way, hopefully I can do some switching around and see what they are like on mine.

I've got the short, 7/8" spring on all three of my Prolines, and on my Electromatic. Happy as heck with one Proline, one's OK, and one needs help! LOL The Electromatic is still stiff as ever, and too high.

This will be fun and interesting to see what happens with the Reverend springs installed.

I've found they are GREAT for Bigsbies on my non-Gretsch Guitars (a D'Angelico ES-XX and Gibson ES335).. However, I prefer stock springs on my Gretsch guitars.

– senojnad

Same here. The stock 1" spring on my Gretsch Power Tenny is fine (I did remove the spacer to lower the arm). The "soft spring" was a game changer on my MIK Guild.

Register Sign in to join the conversation