The Workbench

Restring G5220

Guys normally in a normal world I’ll pop to my local shop. Cos I’m frankly too nervy to have a go myself

time for the big boy pants

in the unlikely event I break a string on my g5220 does anyone have a how to video or step by step to restring.

I know it’s a really simple thing for everyone else but I want to get it right or I won’t be able to hack at my favourite guitar Cheers

Take your time, be patient and you'll be fine. We've got your back

Take your time, be patient and you'll be fine. We've got your back

– Mr Tubs

Cheers. Fingers crossed won’t come that.

Sorefingers, you can do it! You'll be happy that you learned to change your own strings. Just make sure that the wraps on the tuning pegs are wrapping down.

A hack get the proper amount of string to wrap around the tuning post is : to first feed the ball end of the string through hole in the tail piece and pull it all the way through. Line up the hole in the tuning post vertical with the guitar, then feed the string through the hole in the tuning post, and pull it tight. On the wound strings, pinch the low E string, on the guitar side of the post and pull it back to the second fret. Then bend the tail end of the string, on the other side of the post 90 degrees. This will give you enough slack in the string for about 3 wraps. On the A string, pull it back to the first fret, and on the D string to the nut.

Do the same thing for the plain strings, but pull G string back to the first fret. The B string to the 2nd fret, and high E string to the 3rd fret. This will give you about 4 wraps.

I've been using this method for about 35 years now, after a band mate showed it to me, and it's a lot better than guessing. They turn out the same way every time. Due to the different spacing of the tuning posts, from one model to another, you may need to modify this a bit to suit your guitar. But start with the above measurements, the first time you do it. Chances are it will work out fine.

At the risk of being a jerk...having someone put strings on for you is like having someone cut your steak for you. This is something that every adult guitar player in possession of a thumb and at least one other finger should be able to do.

At the risk of being a jerk...having someone put strings on for you is like having someone cut your steak for you. This is something that every adult guitar player in possession of a thumb and at least one other finger should be able to do.

– charlie chitlins

What supposed to cut your steak? Ok big boy pants on I’ll order a couple of packs. And crack on.

Register Sign in to join the conversation