General tech questions

Removing autograph

Has anyone ever removed an autograph from a guitar? There is a guitar I am interested in, but has an autograph that is not legible (or desired). The "Peace & Love" I can make out. It appears to be a medium thick metallic gold marker. Any ideas on getting rid of it?

Well it depends on what finish the guitar has but a little T-cut would most likely do the trick.

The first name looks like it says, "Glen."

I'm pretty sure that it is a typical poly finish. Looks like T-cut might do the job. I have never had any experience with it.

The first name looks like it says, "Glen."

– Ric12string

I thought so too. There are only a few Glens that I would want on it, and I think I can rule them out.

I think it might be Glen Yarborough. Maybe not but that is my first guess. Not a huge electric player.

It is a pre-FMIC Gretsch Historic acoustic.

It could be "Glen Campbell". Might be worth something if it's real. He probably played on more hit records in the '60s and '70s than anyone else.

Do a test spot first. But sometimes I use lighter fluid. Or denatured alcohol. For crap removal. Be careful. good luck

If you’re good with your hands you can wet sand it off but no matter what the finish under the auto will be darker.

600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 then buff.

It could be "Glen Campbell". Might be worth something if it's real. He probably played on more hit records in the '60s and '70s than anyone else.

– wabash slim

That was my thought - looks like and "L" at the end, not two but maybe just ran out of room.

Goo-gone is great for removing sticky, gunky stuff and doesn't damage nitro . I'm not sure about marker but pretty sure it'd work.

Try Goo Gone first..Graffitti remover by Goo gone

No more calls...definitely Glenn Yarborough. And lighter fluid has done the trick in this house.

I would have liked to have had that guitar, Glenn was a regular in my tavern after having his mast replaced on his boat in Vancouver BC. had his own traditional stool in the place as most of our regulars did! That was in Bellingham, WA. The boat was pretty small by most standards but he sailed blue water with it! Great Guy!

A staple on my parent's Mediterranean console stereo in the sixties.

No more calls...definitely Glenn Yarborough. And lighter fluid has done the trick in this house.

– Deed Eddy

Thanks for solving the mystery Deed - and it seems lighter fluid wins for possibly removing it. Always a wealth of knowledge here.

Thanks Deed. It's nice to take a shot in the dark and be right for a change.

Now that you know who it is you can't remove it. Unwritten rule. Just kidding. Use lighter fluid but no one told you that you have to put a lit match up to it after you dowse is with lighter fluid. Worked for Hendrix.

I had an autograph by Billy Zoom on a DeArmond M-75T but unfortunately it got rubbed off. I have no idea how it did because I handed him a Sharpie permanent marker but it got rubbed off. I would never do that nor did I want it too. I'm bummed off because it's the one and only Billy Zoom's signature. Some how Nokie Edwards and Del Casher didn't get rubbed off.

I wish I had your problem where the autograph's won't come off.

This is how I first heard Glen Yarborough.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I first heard Glen's voice in a Folger's Coffee commercial in the late '50s/early '60s. He was the voice of the singing coffee bean. "...From the mountains sweet and good ..." It was a takeoff on the Limeliters song, "When I first came to this land." I couldn't find the commercial but this was the song it was based upon.

I use Naphtha on pretty much all finishes, with a little elbow grease, it'll come off. Here's a StewMac video about how to use it. Link

It seems the bridge was coming loose and it may have a brace problem, I bought it and had my money returned! DAMN, had visions of it hanging on my wall!

Did you receive it? Now I am sorry that I hooked you up with that guitar. The owner said it was mint. Seems like the bridge/brace issue would have been obvious. Reverb sellers are usually up front about issues. Damn!

Did you receive it? Now I am sorry that I hooked you up with that guitar. The owner said it was mint. Seems like the bridge/brace issue would have been obvious. Reverb sellers are usually up front about issues. Damn!

– dlaf_2

No, no, no, He refunded before I even knew there was a problem!! He said he found the bridge loose when getting it ready to ship. I have asked him to let me know when it is repaired, I still want it. AND thank YOU for the contact! I would surmise that he IS a very honest person.

Register Sign in to join the conversation