General tech questions

Red stain on cloth after polishing lacquered guitar

I recently was polishing my lacquered penguin. I couldn't find my usual polish so I used a bottle of Martin Guitar polish (part no. 18AP01). After I was done I noticed that the cloth I used had developed red/pink stain. Should I be worried about the finish on my guitar?

I have noticed before that Martin Polish is more agressive than others. I wouldn't worry about it but just don't use it anymore. I stopped using the stuff in the 80s.....
I hardly ever polish my guitars but if it's really necessary I use GHS Guitar Gloss. I never noticed anything bad happening with that polish.

I use lemon pledge...have for many years...no issues.

– Rick Trotter

– Rick Trotter

Are you serious about this post, Rick? :D

Lemon Pledge has long been a thread topic on the GDP. Ask Jeff O.

– Rick Trotter

– Ric12string

– Rick Trotter

– Ric12string

Actually instead of Lemon Pledge I usually grab the cheapo stuff from walmart... it's not too good on poly like my '74 tele...it makes the poly finish soft....but yes that's what I sue...why...what is the problem...

Oh no, the Lemon Pledge topic. :( This topic has historically been almost as controversial as the gun control topics, ahhhhhhhhh. I hope Bax won't have to lock this when the Pledge/No Pledge camps start firing shots at each other. !#$@%

Seriously, there have been recent threads on what is best for lacquer guitars, with some good info from guys like Curt and even one of the manufacturers.

How do you folks feel about Dr Duck's Axe Wax? It was recommended to me by a tour tech/custom guitar builder here in Seattle. I was a StewMac Preservation user for years before being introduced to Dr Duck's.

If I remember correctly BZ said he used to use the old pledge stuff back in the day. Apparently the old pledge had beeswax and no silicone. Oh and OP be careful. You'll go blind.

I do use lemon oil in between pledge.... is that ok?

Register Sign in to join the conversation