General tech questions

Pickup Selector Switch cutting out

Hello, all. Having problems with the pickup selector switch on my '99 6122-62. It's not constant, but sometimes if I switch from the neck pickup to the middle or bridge position, the sounds just totally cuts out unless I switch back to the neck pickup.

If I wiggle the switch from side to side, it comes back almost every time. However, I don't want to be at a gig and have it NOT come back, at all.

Do you think something is loose, needs cleaned? I know nothing about wiring/soldering, so asking for advice on here, first. Thanks!

Wow, that’s a blast from the past!

We used to get this all the time with pre-FMIC Gretsches, they were loaded with less-than-adequate components. Best bet is to swap it out for a Switchcraft replacement.

You may need a deep reach nut as well, as you’ve likely got a thick top on the guitar.

TV Jones carries both.

You could go the whole hog and replace the entire harness, then you know the pots won’t crap out on you in the same way. Again, TVJ has them pre-made so all you need to do is unsolder and resolder the pups. If you have no experience with an iron it’s a simple job for a guitar tech.

Had the same issue on a 1617 Sparkle Jet, bent a contact a little and haven't had the problem since. That being said, if you don't know what to bend and how much to bend it, don't. Deke Martin's recommendation is the best, and TV JONES is the best I can recommend for the part or parts. I've done business with them on more than one occasion, and can honestly say that I have been extremely satisfied with everything from tech support to ordering and shipping to the products themselves. Besides, my "quick fix" is going to die one day, requiring a new switch, and I don't depend on my guitar for gigging-otherwise, I'd have already replaced it.

Yep, had this issue on my '98 6120.

Fought it for some time, then finally had TV make me a harness with all the good stuff.

End of problem, and money well spent IMO. Factory wiring and mini pots were marginal at best back then.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Sounds like the wiring harness is the way to go, here. I'll e-mail TV Jones and make sure I get the right stuff, then find a guitar tech here that can do the work. Funny thing is, I had a '94 6122-62 years ago that I had to have the pickup switch replaced on, too. Must have been a fairly consistent problem, back then, like you said. Crazy!

Mark, you may want to consider having TV add the treble bleed mod to the master volume pot. Only a few bucks more and you'll be set.

Mark, you may want to consider having TV add the treble bleed mod to the master volume pot. Only a few bucks more and you'll be set.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Great idea...I'd forgotten about that. Thanks! Probably will be like having a new guitar, after all of that work is done.

Great idea...I'd forgotten about that. Thanks! Probably will be like having a new guitar, after all of that work is done.

– MarkH

Yep, that's how mine felt. Just played it with a grin and no issues.

I'd clean it first and use some 600 grit on the contacts. Waaaay cheaper than replacing the harness.

Hello, all. Having problems with the pickup selector switch on my '99 6122-62. It's not constant, but sometimes if I switch from the neck pickup to the middle or bridge position, the sounds just totally cuts out unless I switch back to the neck pickup.

If I wiggle the switch from side to side, it comes back almost every time. However, I don't want to be at a gig and have it NOT come back, at all.

Do you think something is loose, needs cleaned? I know nothing about wiring/soldering, so asking for advice on here, first. Thanks!

– MarkH

sure its been already said, but the hardware on those pre FMIC guitars was not so grand. you MIGHT get lucky w a few squirts of deoxit, but basically once those crappy things start messing up they dont stop.. plus if you start trying to manually clean the contacts then the spring action loosens and the toggle keeps defaulting to middle position. Get a new switch.

loosen the strings, remove the neck pickup, lay it to the side on a cloth. take off the knurled nut on the switch let it drop down and reach inside the pickup cavity to bring it up out of the guitar body. Take a picture of all the contact points for the wires. Then replace each wire over to a new Switchcraft 3 way toggle, one at a time. Use Kestrel solder and an affordable weller soldering pencil. Simple and affordable.

Weller soldering station will serve you for many yrs and worth the $40 on amazon

toggle https://www.amazon.com/Swit...

Had the same issue on a 1617 Sparkle Jet, bent a contact a little and haven't had the problem since. That being said, if you don't know what to bend and how much to bend it, don't. Deke Martin's recommendation is the best, and TV JONES is the best I can recommend for the part or parts. I've done business with them on more than one occasion, and can honestly say that I have been extremely satisfied with everything from tech support to ordering and shipping to the products themselves. Besides, my "quick fix" is going to die one day, requiring a new switch, and I don't depend on my guitar for gigging-otherwise, I'd have already replaced it.

– Synchroslim

I had the same issue on a 1619 Synchro Sparkle Jet. Sometimes it'd work, sometimes it wouldn't. Popped the cover plate off of the back and fiddled a bit with it. All the reeds were tight. Turned out to be a bad cold solder joint that "looked" good. Took longer to heat up the soldering iron than it did to remelt the solder. Total time spent was under 10 minutes.

As you said it was a '99, it could easily be dirty or loose contacts. 20 years can take a toll. Easy enough to clean them, or to bend them a tad to tighten them up. DeOxIt is your friend for cleaning electrical contacts.

Register Sign in to join the conversation