The Workbench

Pickguard Rehab

I'm finishing a restoration project on a 1970s Memphis/Univox double cutaway. I did a bit of experimenting with the pickguard and absent-mindedly used some Goo-Gone to remove some adhesive residue. The pickguard is clean now, but is really dull and has some slight discoloration in the tortoise pattern.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rehabilitating the pickguard to (almost) normal?

I read somewhere that some really intense buffing might help (requires potentially heating up/melting the topmost layer of the plastic), but I'm not convinced.

Open to any suggestions or criticisms for the blunder!

Thanks!

You could try buffing it with White Diamond "Plastic" Polishing Compound (or an equivalent polishing compound). Avoid allowing it to heat up, the fine grit may just do the trick. Link. Use the White Diamond that comes in a solid bar, and apply it to the the spinning buffer pad. Do not use White Diamond Metal Polish.

Wade,

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at some polishing compound. This just might be what I'm looking for!

I use polishing compound that is made for plastic headlight covers. You can get it at an auto parts store. It's a liquid. Works just fine.

Winnie

Register Sign in to join the conversation