The Workbench

Oh no! 1950 tuner buttons are crumbling!

My Bacon Belmont has crumble-button syndrome. One just fell apart in my hands. Any suggestions for replacements before I do something stupid (It’s happened)?

The rest are looking pretty shaky.

Aw that sucks. Sad to see.

Doesn't Stew mac have direct replacements?

Hi Bob, You can buy replacement buttons for just a few dollars. You heat up the tuner shaft with a soldering iron and they sort of melt/slide on. I did that on my grandpa's old Gibby 225 and it worked great.

Wow. I never thought of that. Thanks, Josh. Will do.

I always wondered if you could do something like that.

The plastic button single Klusons worked well for the Rambler and screw holes lines up w/ the Waverlys that were original to it. Not sure what those are tho.

Hi Bob, You can buy replacement buttons for just a few dollars. You heat up the tuner shaft with a soldering iron and they sort of melt/slide on. I did that on my grandpa's old Gibby 225 and it worked great.

– JBGretschGuy

I replaced some old klusons. Put the new buttons in boiling water. They slid on for a tight shrink fit

I have used the Stewmac ones on 4 instruments,they are really nice and not at all hard to replace.

Thanks all. I ordered some beans and they’ll be here soon.

Bob, I have a set of new, single line nickel Klusons with the same colored buttons. Never used. Collecting dust with the hundreds of spare parts in boxes on my bench. The string shaft is an inch tall from the base. I don't have the ferrules, but you could use the originals, along with your original screws. If the screw hole spacing is the same, they would drop right in. If you are interested, they are yours, free of charge. The screw spacing is 23.5 mm. Save the old tuners when you get the new buttons and have some modern reliability. You can always dull down the nickel to match the rest of the original vintage esthetic.

Thanks for the offer, Mad, but I’ll try the button replacement mentioned above. Mighty kind of you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation