The Workbench

Of Bigsbys and Vibrolas

Played a guitar with a Vibrola the other day and really really liked how it felt. Makes me rethink the Bigsby as a matter of fact. Anyone like em or have experience with them?

Crazyparts.de seems to be the most respected after market maker of these. I am confused on the short one regarding the difference between the flange mount and spring mount and if it makes a difference. It would be mounted on a future string thru V and possibly on the double neck.

The Bigsby on the Tele is working fine no issues . the Bigsby on the doubleneck isnt optimal however. Tuning isnt stable but yes I will troubleshoot bridge and nut. Beyond that though it feels very stiff and I can barely get more than a semi tone downward bend. I need about a whole step with fluid ease. I don't know if I need a bigger spring, squishier spring, or both.... Or for those who know more about string angles and Bigsbys , anything you're seeing in the pic that on that front that jumps out?

I'd shim that one a little bit, break angle is sharper than necessary. And spring wise, those Reverend springs really do work great, their "soft spring".

The next time I have a modern Bigsby, I'll have to give the Reverend spring a shot. The feel of new Bigsbys is terrible compared to their '50s and '60s counterparts.

About the break angle, here's another alternative to shimming:

https://bricksbiggsfix.com

The next time I have a modern Bigsby, I'll have to give the Reverend spring a shot. The feel of new Bigsbys is terrible compared to their '50s and '60s counterparts.

I have them on all my early 60's (Guild - same deal) B6's now. You get more arm travel, so more/wider Bigsby action, and an added bonus I'm noticing is the guitars stay in tune better because you're putting less energy into a Bigsby dip, so the side-by-side movement of something like a B6 is gone. It takes half an hour to get used to the different feel, but I definitely like them a LOT!

I think ill start with a Reverend spring and a new bridge....thanks all!

Now tell me of Vibrolas for my future V...;)

Register Sign in to join the conversation