The Workbench

No good deed

Goes unpunished... Long story short, helping a friend of a friend out, he tried to fix a very small area and it looked like a wart, an ugly wart. I spent several hours getting it right then when I removed the tape it brought the finish with it. Told the guy what happened and he said “yeah that happened to me too”.

https://www.oldschoolguitar...

Which goes to show... If you gotta have a sunburst finish, be sure to let Curt do it.

And the new finish looks much better than the factory finish to me. Very nice job on the burst fade.

Hard to believe how chintzy the original finish was for it to pull up like that with low-tack tape. It's as if they used some sort of Sunburst "Zip-a-tone" to put the original finish on a $3,000 guitar.

i'm also stunned that Heritage would put out a finish that...weak? fragile? i'm not sure what the proper term would be.

The finish is so vibrant now that it was worth the effort. Looks great.

i'm also stunned that Heritage would put out a finish that...weak? fragile? i'm not sure what the proper term would be.

– macphisto

So many finish challenges since newer VOC rules were introduced and less education in the field. When I was in the wholesale finish business we stressed education and knowledge based sales. There's a lot that can go wrong and only one outcome is acceptable.

My guess is this guitar was sealed Friday afternoon and sprayed Monday morning without sanding first. Some products can be sprayed wet on wet but after 24 hours they need to be sanded. Companies don't have directions on the can anymore, too much liability.

What a beautiful finish job! Fantastic! Love the center neck wood.

As I see it, he's the luckiest guy on the planet--guitar is luscious after you finished it. I love the florentine cutout and the tone of the burst when you were done. Beautiful work, as usual. Thanks for sharing.

Super poor quality control from the factory. Wonderful job Curt, too bad it was required.

Superb outcome ,beautiful guitar that.

Whew! For a second there I thought you were gonna diss one of our favorite GDP members!

Hey, that looks like my SG without any tape applied. Is nitro supposed to chip off of mahogany?

That sunburst really rates among the best.

Definitely an improvement Curt. Great work.

Which goes to show... If you gotta have a sunburst finish, be sure to let Curt do it.

And the new finish looks much better than the factory finish to me. Very nice job on the burst fade.

Hard to believe how chintzy the original finish was for it to pull up like that with low-tack tape. It's as if they used some sort of Sunburst "Zip-a-tone" to put the original finish on a $3,000 guitar.

– Tartan Phantom

Thank you, I paint out of necessity and due to C19 it's impossible to find proper PPE and until I do, paint work has been suspended.

Hey, that looks like my SG without any tape applied. Is nitro supposed to chip off of mahogany?

– Steeple923

No there are a lot of reasons for that. One of the biggest is putting it back in the case with moisture on the finish. Nitrocellulose is porous so the moisture gets into the wood and starts breaking down. The fact that it is porous is what makes it a better finish sonically and it keeps the wood from cupping which happens on PolyUrethane and PolyEster.

Register Sign in to join the conversation