The Workbench

NJDTSD!

New Jet drum thickness sander day for Daddy. Got tired of the tear out I was getting with my knife planer when using figured wood. Looked at the Performax sander for years but was always just out of reach.

The new Jet sander is the same design. I rarely buy machines made overseas, but this one is a sweetie. Went on sale so I grabbed it.

Now my flame maple and claro walnut boards plane down smooth and flat without any tear out.

Machines made in the USA are harder to find all the time. Many of my daily use machines were made in the US by Delta. My reasoning for buying Delta or Powermatic equipment was that these venerable manufacturers would be around forever and parts would always be available. Wrong!

Northfield is about the only American company left that makes a broad range of machinery. Wonderful machines that require a fork lift to move and three-phase power to operate. Jet, Grizzly, and Taiwanese Powermatic are about the only choices for small shops.

Looks like is nice little sander!

Ow man I'd love to have a thickness sander! Nice one!

Machines made in the USA are harder to find all the time. Many of my daily use machines were made in the US by Delta. My reasoning for buying Delta or Powermatic equipment was that these venerable manufacturers would be around forever and parts would always be available. Wrong!

Northfield is about the only American company left that makes a broad range of machinery. Wonderful machines that require a fork lift to move and three-phase power to operate. Jet, Grizzly, and Taiwanese Powermatic are about the only choices for small shops.

Looks like is nice little sander!

– Viper

You and I are on the same page brother. The machines in my shop are all pre-1970s USA cast iron, a couple from the 1930s and 40s.

I thought long and hard before buying the Jet. I’ve needed a good thickness sander for a long time and the only nice US made Performax I’d seen for sale was just too big for my shop. So far everything I’ve seen and read regarding the Jet has been positive so I took the gamble.

I’m by no means a professional production shop, otherwise I would invest in a commercial 3 drum sander.

You and I are on the same page brother. The machines in my shop are all pre-1970s USA cast iron, a couple from the 1930s and 40s.

I thought long and hard before buying the Jet. I’ve needed a good thickness sander for a long time and the only nice US made Performax I’d seen for sale was just too big for my shop. So far everything I’ve seen and read regarding the Jet has been positive so I took the gamble.

I’m by no means a professional production shop, otherwise I would invest in a commercial 3 drum sander.

– Powdog

A shop I do some business with has a two-head Timesaver sander that they use to do sanding for everybody in town. This is a $30,000 machine with a footprint as big as a Toyota. The cost of the machine is the tip of the iceberg. It requires a huge dust collector to suck the dust, 3-phase power, and expensive belts.

For awhile I had a 36” Woodmaster drum sander made in Kansas City. Changing to finer grit belts was a huge pain. I realized it was faster to load the truck with whatever needed sanding and run it through the Timesaver. I do architectural stuff like doors, stair parts, and moldings, but I’m a one man shop and try to keep the overhead low.

Nice, Powdog! Again, you just have to love new tools!

Well done. Good tools are fun.

An old friend who has a pipe organ shop has been selling his woodworking tools. He had a 4' belt sander which must have been a pain to move.

I dislike having tool envy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation