General tech questions

New type of Revolutionary Guitar Strings!

Man.

The article is a little gee-whiz breathlessly written for a piece in a scientific journal, and it's fabulously short on any details of the science. Lots of explanation of the advantages and benefits - not so much on the features.

Which is odd.

I expected to see a click here to buy these life-changing strings, or at least mention of a source to purchase. But none of that - just scholarly references. In the context of the way it's written, that seems odder still.

Maybe the physics department at St. Andrews sent their submission through the university's marketing (oops! communications!) department, and a marketeer there punched up the language before sending it on to the journal, who thought it made for readable popular science.

All that aside, there's no reason to believe Dr. Kemp hasn't come up with a new thang here for our twang. I'll certainly try a set or two.

But where can I get them?

Maybe the University is still working out the commercial rights with the good Dr. before marketing the strings.

We shall see, Publish or Perish meets Reality...

Reality is Profitably Produce or Perish!

I don't think phys.org is a scientific journal.

The paper that the news story talks about is here:

http://journals.plos.org/pl...

The key lines in the abstract:

"It is demonstrated that it [is] not possible to equalise the relative sensitivity of unwound steel st[r]ings on a Fender Stratocaster type tremolo unit through string construction techniques. The ratio of core to winding mass in the string, on the other hand, was found to be a very powerful design parameter for choosing the sensitivity of the string to tremolo arm use and standard pitch bends."

So if you get the balance of core to wrap thickness correct you can make all the wound strings plus one of the plain strings react equally in pitch to changes in tension.

One would think that if you fuse two different alloys, have a core of one alloy and a coating of another, or say nylon, that you could do the same thing on plain strings.

Register Sign in to join the conversation