General tech questions

Neck Crack?

Last week my guitar fell off the stand and face planted onto a wooden stool. I'm thinking the clunk may have been the nut hitting the stool. Today I noticed what appears to be a crack, but the finish is still smooth on the outside. There is also a small dark line under the finish.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Looks like you got lucky and only cracked the finish but I'm no expert. Ouch, though, Dave. I'll bet your heart skipped a beat when she took a fall.

You are right Dave, I did a double cringe because I've only had it a couple of weeks! And I really like it!

Should I be worried about the dark line underneath? Wood grain or something else of concern?

Wow.... you got lucky! I’m gonna guess like the others by the direction and angle of the crack in reference to the wood grain it’s just a finish crack.

That looks like a crack in a poly finish. Use a magnifying lens to examine it closer, but I'm sure you have no worries.

That makes sense Hipbone regarding the direction of the grain vs the crack. Good call.

I gues the crack is on the inside surface and may eventually work it’s way to the surface.

Don't worry, it's only character.

Ask Curt, our resident cracked headstock guy. He has been working on a real doozy of late.

Wow. I’m glad that it apparently is okay but would like to know - did you say DAMMIT, DAMN IT, WTF or something else when it happened?

It would be interesting to know if that guitar utilized a scarf joint to obtain the headstock angle? The lines look about right for one?

It would be interesting to know if that guitar utilized a scarf joint to obtain the headstock angle? The lines look about right for one?

– RCgold

If you are referring to the "lines" of the crack, and how they would be affected by the use of a scarf joint, wouldn't those lines be going in the opposite direction? That is to say, the lines of the grain that can be seen in the side of the headstock would be oblique to the lines of the grain in the neck such that the headstock grain lines would extend above the fretboard rather than below it.

I am no expert, but I can't find evidence that the headstock is scarfed onto the neck. Are these normally one piece?

By the way, this is a 5622. A beautifully made and great playing/sounding guitar. I like the SuperHiLoTrons really well.

Baba Joe - I think I actually said the F word followed by the S word, multiple times (in my head).

FWIW, I bring my own guitar stand to rehearsal now.

You’re the better man Hoot Owl. At least a couple of those words would have been vocal from me. Maybe we’ll see it in Nashville?

Register Sign in to join the conversation