The Workbench

My Surfy Astro Jet Build Is Now…The Astro-Sonic!

My old mid-'60s Astro Jet body/neck by "Jack Daniels" here on The Gretsch Pages some years back now has a new name on the headstock...I dub thee...The Astro-Sonic! Since not a fully legit Gretsch, I wanted to give it my own moniker.

I wish the new headstock logo was a bit bigger but it's understandable that my guitar tech had only so much room to work with. I'm loving it!

Yes, that's a little UFO with an alien zooming after the "C".

Love it, Steve. I recently modded water marks on a couple of mine.

Did you design your logo? Really diggin' the long T roof and spaceship.

Thanks, Dave! Cool band logo! I just came up with the name. My guitar tech found the logo and the spaceship, which ties in nicely with the name and tremolo bar UFO tip from Mastery.

Sweet looking, loved guitars there, boys! The graffics looks awesome!

So cool. The UFO whammy tip is the perfect touch.

With my former 3 Hi Lo Tron Astro, and that Astro 12 string, and now this -- there sure have been some mutant creations from the might Astro Jet.

My guitar tech (who put most of the Astro-Sonic together, including attaching Jack Daniels' neck) only wants me to sell to him if I ever sell it (which would be highly unlikely).

He asked if there were still any of these bodies around. There's an Astro-Jet body in Germany going for $411.30 and a Corvette body going for $500 in Tennessee - anyone here from Goodlettsville?

Glad I was able to get mine for $75 way back when...and back then the price went up from $50!

I have almost all the parts to make one (need pots, switch and pickguard). JD neck on one of those ‘found’ bodies. Even have a Burns tremolo (but has tension bar attached, so need to figure out how to get it flush).

It’s been sitting for many years. Will I ever get to it?

Nice! I got the pickguard and truss rod made by Paul Setzer.

That‘s a nice one!

What about putting a larger version of the logo between the top 2 tuners. I would say the D string would not disturb that much.

Rat's rust rorgeous!

you could run the guitar logo horizontally between the tuners like a PRS and get twice the size.

That‘s a nice one!

What about putting a larger version of the logo between the top 2 tuners. I would say the D string would not disturb that much.

– blueflame

Unfortunately, due to the process where he refinishes the headstock, replacing the current logo and moving it is just not an option at this point as it would basically re-doing all the work and time involved. I'm happy with it as it is.

Rat's rust rorgeous!

– Parabar

Got some Jetsons (Astro, Elroy, and whole family in space car) decals on order. I hope to put one on the pickguard and one on the truss rod cover. To put one on the truss cover, I'll have to scan the decal, reduce it's size significantly, and then print it back out on either my vinyl glossy sticker sheet or waterslide decal paper. Should be fun!

you could run the guitar logo horizontally between the tuners like a PRS and get twice the size.

– macphisto

I wish I consulted with you guys before the job was too far along. Great idea for another project - thanks!

Actually, what I'll probably do is make use of the open space left on the headstock for one of the Jetsons decals I have on order. Most likely it will be an Astro image. Something like what I did on my Rat Rod:

It looks fabulous! I love every choice you've made here. No contrasting color on the back, though? Maybe black, maybe Lake Placid Blue? I know, too late... But I think the truss rod cover would look better with black on top. Does anyone make a black/mint/black PG material, though? Or only b/w/b?

The Astro-Sonic is now complete...meet The Jetsons!

Here's George Jetson, his boy Elroy, his daughter Judy, Jane his wife!

Nice theme, Surfy! I dig the color and ASTRO the wonder-dog, Rut Row Reorge! Lots of fun in a single guitar!

Oh that kicks ass! Way to go, Steve!

Register Sign in to join the conversation