The Workbench

Look out, Powdog!

I've long been in awe of the beautiful work Powdog has shown us here. At last I am in a position to do my own version of what Powdog does - I might not be in the same class as him but at least I can give it a red hot try!

I just picked up a Kreg mini-router table this week, so I wasted no time in making myself a finger-joint jig out of scrap plywood. I was very painstaking to get everything straight and at right angles but it is no work of art! But when I tested it yesterday I was delighted that it produced tight, accurate fingerjoints in my test piece.

So now I have a cab all clamped up while the glues dries - it will be (probably) a 2x10 cab for my old home-brew Lo-po tweed Twin. I have a pair of Celestion alnico Golds which should be perfect for it. I had a Mojo 2x12 for the amp but sold a 5F6-A Bassman in that cab so now need a new one for the Twin. I have a few amps which need cabs so I should have plenty to keep me busy for months.

Here is my test piece - I raised the bit about a half mil after this.

Sure does. I've made cabs before with rebate joins and they're probably strong enough but I never was happy with them. They looked ok but I knew they could be better.

That looks nice! I also need to make a jig and learn to do that!

Cool ! Makin' sawdust ! Nothing like spending time in the shop.

Excellent. That will keep you of the streets!

Nice work JimmyR. That joint looks perfect.The Kreg and Incra fence systems are very nice. I always wanted a stand alone shaper table, but due to limited space (and funds) I ended up building a router table into my table saw. I made the insert and fence system out of 3/4” particle board with Formica surface for slickness. The router plate is 3/8” Lexan. The box joint jig is pine and plywood.

Any pics of the new cab?

I'll take some pics this afternoon - right now it's covered in clamps! I have to do one side at a time because I only have so many clamps.

Your router setup looks more sophisticated than mine! My router table wasn't expensive which is why I could buy it. I already had the router - which was bought on a very good special last year. I got a Triton and it's the easiest router I have used - it's excellent.

My jig sled is rather stiff but I figured it's better to be stiff than to have any lateral movement in it. The table has a groove in it which I used to run a guide down and the other guide runs along the other edge of the table. So it's unlikely to move around sideways. The only issue I am having is when I need to start the board with the slot. The router wants to fling my spacer across the room. I'll have to work out a better way to keep the spacer in place.

That’s precisely why I made this finger joint jig to use with the table saw. I use it with a Freud dado stack and cut 1/2” fingers.

That's the exact same principle that I used for my jig - except the little nub that sticks out for spacing is longer on mine so I have something to hold the spacer against. I'm thinking that I need to put a dowel under my spacer to hold it against the baseplate or something like that.

After I've built this one I might try using 1/2" fingers. I have a good 1/2" router bit for it. This jig is obviously 3/4".

It took longer than I thought to get to this point because life got in the way. The cab part is done now except for the back panel cleats. Next I need to cut out back panels and a baffle.

Detail of joints:

Detail of joints:

– JimmyR

That looks great!

Wow! That looks awesome, Jimmy! Good job!

That is super nice! My wood working skills would make Escher blink.

I made another jig, this time for 1/2" fingers. The first cab with 1/2" finger joints is a 5E11 tweed Vibrolux cab. Same size as a 5E3 cab but with slightly wider control cutout because the Vibrolux has more knobs. I'll build this with a 12" speaker too. I have the room, so why not?

A detail of the joint. This jig took a bit more work but is super easy to use and the cab went together pretty easily. What a difference having a router table has made! I'm just waiting for some t-nuts to arrive and I can finish the baffle on the first one. I have all the pieces made for the Twin cab - it just needs the baffle painted and then I can tolex the cab and grill-cloth the grill.

Nice work JimmyR. That joint looks perfect.The Kreg and Incra fence systems are very nice. I always wanted a stand alone shaper table, but due to limited space (and funds) I ended up building a router table into my table saw. I made the insert and fence system out of 3/4” particle board with Formica surface for slickness. The router plate is 3/8” Lexan. The box joint jig is pine and plywood.

– Powdog

Awesome! Im stealing this idea.. why didnt I ever think of this ?

A detail of the joint. This jig took a bit more work but is super easy to use and the cab went together pretty easily. What a difference having a router table has made! I'm just waiting for some t-nuts to arrive and I can finish the baffle on the first one. I have all the pieces made for the Twin cab - it just needs the baffle painted and then I can tolex the cab and grill-cloth the grill.

– JimmyR

That is looking SO good.

Very nice job. Has to really feel good looking at this, and knowing that you did it all.

Keep it up.

I really wish you wouldn't live on the exact opposite side of the planet, Jimmy.

Thanks JD and Sascha. Yes I do feel pretty pleased with myself! I'm kind of surprised that it all works and comes out looking like this. Like LA Manny I am wondering why I didn't do this before - oh that's right - I didn't have the tools.

What makes it possible is a very good Triton router and a relatively inexpensive and not too big Kreg router table. It's pleny big enough for my needs - although when routing the rebate for the grill rails I need to stick the cab on a big flat piece of board so it doesn't fall off the side of the table.

And Sascha I have mixed feelings about living in Australia. For the most part I feel incredibly lucky because we have world class health care, education and lifestyle. We can get pretty much anything we want even if it costs more than the USA because we pay people better. But there are times, like last December when we were in the snow-covered alps that I wondered why we had to live so far from all of this... And then Covid 19 breaks out and I think oh no - Australia's good!

But one day I will visit Berlin again.

In the meantime I have some panels to cut for the newest cabinet.

Nice work Jimmy. Thought you might appreciate these drawer pulls.

Nice work Jimmy. Thought you might appreciate these drawer pulls.

– Powdog

Holy Crap!

Register Sign in to join the conversation