The Workbench

Lightweight Strato-parts “build”

Lining up the bridge, determining where to drill the 6 holes.

It’s dawning on me that a Strat build requires more careful lining up and measuring than the Tele build. It’s critical that I do it right.

I was shocked that I did the soldering, the lining up, the drilling and screwing without any real mistakes or gluing my head to the work bench. Slow and steady does the trick...and it was a good idea not to get drunk first.

I bought a Compound 9.5-14 Radius Maple Strat neck from StewMac tonight...

I think a FrankenStrat is an eventuality after I fiddle it with some.

Have fun, Twang.

Holes drilled, parts screwed.

My two lightweight Fender-ish quarantine builds.

My two lightweight Fender-ish quarantine builds.

– Bob Howard

Nice pair, Bob. And, of course, the requisite question RE the Strat: how does it play and sound?

First, I plugged it in and amazingly, everything worked as it should. The action was too high and the saddles were bottoming out so a shim was needed. Off with the neck, on with the shim and after much tinkering and adjustment, it played very nicely, sounds like a Strat. The neck is chunkier than I’m used to but it’s comfortable. I’m letting everything settle in before I pronounce judgment. Stay tuned...

Nice work, Bob! Enjoy the fruits of your labors!

Man, those look fantastic! Did you need to do any whittling/ filing on the pickguard to get the neck or bridge to fit properly?

The pick guard needs a little trimming just to the left of the bridge. The way the body was routed, the last screw just under The 2nd tone knob has no wood to screw into. Lots of little fiddly-bits need attention. Right now I’m wondering if I can live with a baseball bat feeling fat neck. I have another rosewood neck that needs finishing. I’m going to tape it up and give it a light honey color nitro squirt.

Wow, another one in record time, it looks great! What are you going to build next? You're on a roll now!

Well, I used up most of my spare parts, so it’s time to play them.

The pick guard needs a little trimming just to the left of the bridge. The way the body was routed, the last screw just under The 2nd tone knob has no wood to screw into. Lots of little fiddly-bits need attention. Right now I’m wondering if I can live with a baseball bat feeling fat neck. I have another rosewood neck that needs finishing. I’m going to tape it up and give it a light honey color nitro squirt.

– Bob Howard

The pickguard I had planned to use was too short in that area, too. I have a plain white Strat guard that is long enough that I’ll send you, if you want it.

Congrats, Bob! They look great!

PM sent but didn’t work. Tried another method but if you don’t get an email let me know.

Register Sign in to join the conversation