The Workbench

Lightweight Strato-parts “build”

The success of theTele piece-together (I hesitate to use the word build after watching with awe at Mike2000’s build), I gathered together some parts, bought another lightweight “paulownia” wood body from GFS on sale and some pickups and will make something of this pile. Stay tuned.

Cool! Now have 'er done by sundown.

You're a guitar makin' machine, Bob! Love the color of the body and the maple neck. How are you liking those bodies from GFS?

So far the tele body is great! I’m enjoying the light weight and it’d got as much Tone as any of my past Teles. I can wear it all day.

Is that the Capri Orange body? If so, I also bought one but it’s a hardtail. Waiting for a set of Rose pickups and a Warmoth neck to come in. I agree about the GFS bodies completely. This will be the third guitar I’ve put together using their bodies. Great stuff for a really good price. Looking forward to watching this thread.

I'll be real interested to know how you determine where to drill the screw holes for the bridge! I have a similar Strat project slowly making its way from the back burner.....Also trying to figure out a shallow angle for the trem claw screws.

I plan to use this bloke’s instruction. I’m taking this one slow (sorry AndyJ) because it takes some care to get a vibrato to work well...and I seem to have a lot of time to fill up these days.

I plan to use this bloke’s instruction. I’m taking this one slow (sorry AndyJ) because it takes some care to get a vibrato to work well...and I seem to have a lot of time to fill up these days.

– Bob Howard

You've dashed my expectations, Bob! But any job worth doing . . . Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sorry, Andy. I live to disappoint. Keeps the bar low so I look good in the end. Don’t tell anyone.

About color, this orange looked more orange, less red in the GFS picture. The reality is almost the red of Fender’s fiesta red. I like it. Here is what it looked like on the site.

This is more like it looks in reality, at least on my iPad. I think red is hard to photograph.

The success of theTele piece-together (I hesitate to use the word build after watching with awe at Mike2000’s build), I gathered together some parts, bought another lightweight “paulownia” wood body from GFS on sale and some pickups and will make something of this pile. Stay tuned.

– Bob Howard

Cool, another build thread! Don't do yourself short by not calling it a build thread because it is one! Piecing together parts that weren't built for each other can be quite the challenge. I'm looking forward to see the progress. I might try a Strat build in the future but I'm so not familiar with them.

Good luck with your build!

OK. I’ll call it a build, but only because your work is known as a “from scratch build”. I was about to settle on the term “assembly”.

The fitting of the Strat bridge/tremolo is careful work. I’m absorbing as much you tube advise as I can before proceeding. First step is to attach the neck so I can line up the bridge. I found this one on eBay during my 7.25” radius mania. AllParts Lic. By Fender, with a light nitro finish.

Hey you could put a bridge bucker in that one.

I don’t like the sound of humbuckers any more. I’m as single coil as you are small scale.

The neck looks great. Which brand of tuners are you using?

No name cheapies. If they don’t do well I’ll invest in some better ones.

The color on that headstock is really nice!

No name cheapies. If they don’t do well I’ll invest in some better ones.

– Bob Howard

There are now some Modern World Klusons with 19;1 ratio and same footprint/holes.

Build threads are great. This is a legitimate build Bob, enjoying seeing every bit of the process!

Register Sign in to join the conversation