General tech questions

What strings for a piezo electric (non-acoustic)?

My G460 is a hollow Jet with a saddle piezo pup. I currently have phosphor-bronze acoustic strings on it.

Since it's not really an acoustic guitar (too thin to push much sound) I'm thinking I'll just use my favorite electric strings.

You input is appreciated.

I have a Guild Songbird. It's an acoustic but no more so than your G460. In fact, the back and sides are made of a single, routed out piece of mahogany. It has a piezo pup. I tried electric strings and found them thin and weenie. I then put on the same strings as my acoustics and have been very happy with the sound. I recommend this.

Since those don't use a magnetic pickup, and are voiced for acoustic style strings, I'd say to stay with the bronze strings. Try a few different brands, and try Monel and silk and steel until you find the one set that suits you best. Do you play it acoustically or amplified more? Remember---everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes.

That's one of the very few guitars that I have GAS for anymore, but they're a rare as hen's teeth. I play acoustic more than electric, mostly on the couch these days, and that'd fit the bill perfectly.

Since those don't use a magnetic pickup, and are voiced for acoustic style strings, I'd say to stay with the bronze strings. Try a few different brands, and try Monel and silk and steel until you find the one set that suits you best. Do you play it acoustically or amplified more? Remember---everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes.

That's one of the very few guitars that I have GAS for anymore, but they're a rare as hen's teeth. I play acoustic more than electric, mostly on the couch these days, and that'd fit the bill perfectly.

– wabash slim

It's got some acousticness. I'm going to put my Tonerite on it next for about a week and see how it opens up. Maybe I'll post a sound/video afterward.

I'm debating whether to sell it. It's so light-weight and playable that I love it, but don't give it as much love as it deserves (the 3967 and 3110 and Tele-by-Josh tend to get all the attention).

Selling it? Now you're just tempting me. I'd have to sell my Pro Jet due to the wife's "one in, one out" rule.

Register Sign in to join the conversation