The Workbench

Is it possible to buy the “string-thru’ Bigsby bar?

Now that "string-thru" Bigsbies are an official Gretsch offering, does anyone know if any parts dealers stock just the "string-thru" bar, rather than an entire Bigsby? Joe C?

Bonus points if the dealer also stocks the Duane Eddy handle

I don't know if you can get the Gretsch version, but you can get them from Callaham. I have one on a guitar, it's really not all that much handier than a regular Bigsby with pins IMO. Threading the whole string through that bar is fiddly too.

I've seen the Callaham ones. They look great, but I was hoping for cheaper, considering a regular Bigsby shaft costs $20. Worst case I can get the machine shop guys at work to drill one out for me.

That gets back to the old 'removable pins' thing where you could unscrew the pins out of Bigsbys made up thru the early 70s. I always hated the pins.

Having someone familiar with a drill would be the cheapest solution. How are the pins attached now? I have a Japanese cheaply made copy with the string thru setup. Seems to make more sense than the pins. I'm mot sure if there are break angle issues, tho.

Pins are now a "press fit" set up. Easily removed using a small Vice Grip.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

They may be press-fitted (though pull as I might with the vice grips it won't budge), but the hole doesn't go all the way through, so it'd still have to be drilled even if I could pull it out.

They should just lengthen the pins like Duane had them do for his signature model.

I'd buy the Callaham model in a heartbeat if they did them in gold. My 6120s and Falcon all have gold Bigbys. Anyone know where to find them in gold?

I don't know if you can get the Gretsch version, but you can get them from Callaham. I have one on a guitar, it's really not all that much handier than a regular Bigsby with pins IMO. Threading the whole string through that bar is fiddly too.

– WB

My experience with the Callaham bar. It's great when you do a complete restring, and just put all 6 through at the same time. It is really difficult to do a single string as if you broke one on stage. The angle when the bars under tension is really tough to get a single string in there. Beginning to think that the pins work much better in a live performance application for Quick single string replacement.

I was sold on the string thru solution shortly after having a bigsby was a necessity for me . Never did it, lazy me, but in the meantime I've gotten to where I can do it in my sleep. Just keep a pair of needle nose pliers handy.

I use a foam wedge called a "Gretsch String Buddy", to hold the strings in place while changing them on my pinned Bigsby. It makes string changes a snap. Yes to the needle nose pliers too! I bought my String Buddy for a few dollars, but they can easily be made yourself out of spongy foam, or even Styrofoam.

I bought mine because it has "Gretsch" embossed on it, and I thought it was kind of cool. I think many of us like little doodads that have our favorite guitar brand name on them.

Register Sign in to join the conversation