General tech questions

Is it possible to buy the “string-thru’ Bigsby bar?

Now that "string-thru" Bigsbies are an official Gretsch offering, does anyone know if any parts dealers stock just the "string-thru" bar, rather than an entire Bigsby? Joe C?

Bonus points if the dealer also stocks the Duane Eddy handle

I don't know if you can get the Gretsch version, but you can get them from Callaham. I have one on a guitar, it's really not all that much handier than a regular Bigsby with pins IMO. Threading the whole string through that bar is fiddly too.

I've seen the Callaham ones. They look great, but I was hoping for cheaper, considering a regular Bigsby shaft costs $20. Worst case I can get the machine shop guys at work to drill one out for me.

That gets back to the old 'removable pins' thing where you could unscrew the pins out of Bigsbys made up thru the early 70s. I always hated the pins.

Having someone familiar with a drill would be the cheapest solution. How are the pins attached now? I have a Japanese cheaply made copy with the string thru setup. Seems to make more sense than the pins. I'm mot sure if there are break angle issues, tho.

Pins are now a "press fit" set up. Easily removed using a small Vice Grip.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

They may be press-fitted (though pull as I might with the vice grips it won't budge), but the hole doesn't go all the way through, so it'd still have to be drilled even if I could pull it out.

They should just lengthen the pins like Duane had them do for his signature model.

They may be press-fitted (though pull as I might with the vice grips it won't budge), but the hole doesn't go all the way through, so it'd still have to be drilled even if I could pull it out.

– Otter

Set your Vice Grip a tad smaller than the pin. Make sure that you grab the pin with the VG right at the bar itself. Lock it, and push/pivot the VG towards the bar. The pin will collapse and come out.............only 5 more times, and you can slide the bar out.

Yes, the holes will need to be drilled through using a drill press and the correct drill bit. Chamfer the holes and polish the bar. If you're shop buddy can help you out, it's a cheaper option than a machine shop, or buying the Callaham unit, which is a very quality bar.

Here's a vid on how Callahm removes the pins. For myself, I had better luck with the small locking Vice Grips:

Best of luck

I'd buy the Callaham model in a heartbeat if they did them in gold. My 6120s and Falcon all have gold Bigbys. Anyone know where to find them in gold?

Register Sign in to join the conversation