The Workbench

inducing lacquer checking

Then... if the stars align and I can work out the bridge placement, I'm hoping to fit this vintage B7 to finish out the Bigsbyization of this Gibson.

Just to further explain my plan for this LP project... those humbuckers are on their way out! Instead, I'm going to have these installed.

– kc_eddie_b

T K Smith?

Yes... TK Smith’s CAR units. Even second hand they cost almost as much as the guitar!

Vintage Bigsbys aren't cheap either. Don't forget the earth wire.

I left the neck of my former Partscaster in my car for too long in January and this is what happened when I brought it into my home.

It wasn't intentional, but I wasn't at all unhappy with the effect.

Well, hard to see with the resized images, but there is some checking. And it's not at all the "super-fine crackle" Toxophilite mentions. It's actually kind of a broad cross-wise crackle. I don't know if others would classify it as "authentic" looking, but in reality, it's as authentic as it gets. I don't know how any checking could be more "honest" than that caused by accidentally leaving a guitar (or neck in this case) in your car in the winter.

Vintage Bigsbys aren't cheap either. Don't forget the earth wire.

– tonyb

Ha... don't worry, vintage Bigsby units I have!!

I left the neck of my former Partscaster in my car for too long in January and this is what happened when I brought it into my home.

It wasn't intentional, but I wasn't at all unhappy with the effect.

– Afire

Nice... a happy accident! That's usually associated with clean-living. I like that aesthetic and prefer it to the finer "shattered-glass" type of crazing. Nice birdseye maple on that too!!

Ha... don't worry, vintage Bigsby units I have!!

– kc_eddie_b

Hmmm, I'm after a B6.

Hmmm, I'm after a B6.

– tonyb

That's way to general Tony... which style (vintage)?

To put on this, 2017.

To put on this, 2017.

– tonyb

Ok... cool guitar. But what era are you looking to emulate? If you need a reissue B6 for your 2017 guitar that's easy, and you don't need me for that. Do you want swivel handle? Cast or steel arm? I assume standard B6 and not the V-style Gretsch version... yes? I actually think that one of the cool 60s Kay units with the gold fluting on the base plate would look incredible on that guitar!

I actually think that one of the cool 60s Kay units with the gold fluting on the base plate would look incredible on that guitar!

Were those actually made by Bigsby?

I actually think that one of the cool 60s Kay units with the gold fluting on the base plate would look incredible on that guitar!

Were those actually made by Bigsby?

– Afire

No... there is zero evidence (and I've looked!) that these were a Bigsby product. Kay started offering certain guitar models with an actual Bigsby vibrato, but after a couple of years I think they did the same thing Gretsch did with pickups and bridges and decided it was more cost effective to make their own. As mentioned... I actually like them!

Those Kays do look great in an art deco way but I think I'll go for a modern B6, which I can get this side of the pond. The guitar is only a couple of years old so vintage would be pointless. Is it possible to re-shape a modern one to vintage shape?

Is there a noticable difference in shape between vintage and modern B6s anyway? Not that I know of so far. I only noticed that on the B7 and B3 models. The logo, pat no. etc is another story.

If you buy used in the British market please notice that Selmer made Bigsby vibratos were on many guitars sold in the 60s and 70s in the U.K. and therefore appear from time to time. Those have the "US" patent on the plate and are generally a few percent smaller in dimension. But they are of good quality and work flawlessly.

I just came across this great example of finish checking on a Gretsch Corvette. I love it!!

This is what the checking looks like on my Corvette build:

TV Yellow, cool. That's next on my list. More pics Dan.

– Danman

Yep! That's the look! Very cool Danman!

Thanks Dan. I have a lot more time on my hands at the moment.

Register Sign in to join the conversation