The Workbench

I Hofner-ized a Bigsby

THe original Hofner BIgsy vibrator(I kid you not) tailpiece that came with this guitar was solid steel and weighed a gazillion lbs. Looked cool but too heavy. So I put a bigsby on it but it looked a little ho hum in comparison so I made a Hofner type arm in Aluminium and put it on the bigsby.

Looking great... very inventive fix! Good looking Hofner.

Looking great... very inventive fix! Good looking Hofner.

– DCBirdMan

Thanks very much, though the guitar is a Hoyer Special, a solid wood hand carved archtop, kind of the German equivalent to a Gibson Super 400. The original tailpiece was a Hofner unit.

clever idea and great result...

those hofner trems are hard to find!!

did you alter mounting bracket as well to match orig hofner holes??

as i said b4, killer guitar

cheers

Like both the guitar and Bigsby.

clever idea and great result...

those hofner trems are hard to find!!

did you alter mounting bracket as well to match orig hofner holes??

as i said b4, killer guitar

cheers

– neatone

You want to buy mine?? I have it it up on ebay and no-ones biting. It's in great shape.Cool looking units and perfectly but heavy!. This guitar was originally an acoustic guitar and would've looked like this stock .( I bought a proper tailpiece and made a repro Hoyer pickguard) . So there are 2 sets of holes already in the butt..So I added a couple more. There's 2 sets of holes i the side from theoriginal guard and the Ideal one it came with. however I mounted this guard like the ideal on. instead of with the two brackets Schaller intended. I'll included a picture of the strap mounting thingies, each of which is attached with 6 tiny screws.

Man you do some cool stuff! You are a skilled guy.

Nice job! That looks great and suits the guitar very well! Cool looking guitar.

Toxophilite: The tailpiece pictured above is called an "escutcheon" tailpiece and is (excepting for the Kay Barney Kessel from the 60's) peculiar to high end German guitars. Those were all hand made, quite rare today to find used and you very likely will be able to sell yours for north of $300. As for those Schaller pickups, I have a set of those on a Hopf Silver Star from the mid- 1960's and for my taste, they are absolutely outstanding pickups. Congratulations!

Thanks. I'll keep the lyre style tailpiece. I got it for under $100 off of ebay I think. It's what the guitar would've come with from the Hoyer shop. So far I like the schaller pickups though I haven't yet been able to try them in a band context or at any volume.

I never get tired of seeing pix of your Hoyer! It's gorgeous!

That is one sweet ride, Toxo! Top job!

Register Sign in to join the conversation