General tech questions

How I ” FAKE ANODIZED” my Bigsby !!!!

Wow, that looks great! I've seen this technique used in modeling, but I wouldn't have thought it durable enough for regular handling. How is it holding up to use?

I never thought that it would look THAT good in the end. Great stuff!

Wow, that looks great! I've seen this technique used in modeling, but I wouldn't have thought it durable enough for regular handling. How is it holding up to use?

– noiselab

It look like this after a while of abuse

Voodoo, you might look into gold alodine. It's a chemical treatment for aluminum as opposed to electrically deposited anodizing. It may also yield the gold color you are seeking with careful attention to the timing of the process. It is only slightly less durable than actual anodizing.

According to my research on colored anodizing is that it is the same thing as regular anodizing but with dying afterward. And aren't all bigsbys already anodized??? Why couldn't you just dye it gold.

Hobbyist such as motocross biker guys use a battery charger and a plastic tube of battery acid to anodize, then rinse with water, and then dye use Rit clothing dye.

regular bigsbys are polished aluminum

Not a big fan of the anodized look but that looks great! Awesome job!

Beautiful job! My Bigsby is heavily reliced due to my acidic sweat. Love your work.

But it looks very vintage,when that happened

Register Sign in to join the conversation