General tech questions

How Do You Secure a Pickup Inside Its Cover

Tried this in the 'Pickups' section but got no response so have moved it here.

On the underside of some pickups, Gretsch Dyna'sonics for instance, I notice what looks to be some kind of rubbery adhesive in the corners that holds the actual pickup securely inside the covers. Would silicone caulking be acceptable for this purpose? What is the common method or material used?

Last time I had this issue I used loctite silicone. It was a tv jones pickup so I asked what they used and they said silicone glue.

Last time I had this issue I used loctite silicone. It was a tv jones pickup so I asked what they used and they said silicone glue.

– Hollerbody

Alright! That's as good a recommendation as there is; much appreciated. Hey, I've got orange and green guitars like you.

Clear silicone---a little dab'll do ya!

The newer Dynasonics have a riser with a tab that keeps them from falling in. You could get some of the new risers, or just use a little silicone.

The newer Dynasonics have a riser with a tab that keeps them from falling in. You could get some of the new risers, or just use a little silicone.

– Billy Zoom

These do have rubber risers and keep the pickup more or less flush with the top of the cover, but don't totally secure the pickup from movement. I'm thinking mostly of vibrations from the amplified instrument that could contribute to microphonic feedback, especially at high volume. A few dabs of silicone should do the trick. The caramel colored waxy stuff that Gretsch used did not adhere to the metal covers.

Register Sign in to join the conversation