General tech questions

Help removing vol/tone knobs

I bought a hollowbody that has apparently spent the last nineteen years in it's case. Everything is great with it, but the volume & tone pots are loose and I can't budge the set screws holding the top hat knobs on. I'm wondering what I should use to try and free up the screws. I will be careful but still want to make sure what I use won't be bad for the poly finish - just in case.

Try sitting the Guitar with both set screw holes turned and facing UP by propping the guitar up on its side with a towel between the knobs and finish. Then put in a few drops of “liquid wrench” in the hole and let it sit at least overnight with them both facing up so it can penetrate.Then slowly try to remove them. I also keep a big variety of small screwdrivers on hand with different size heads ..... You don’t want to strip that head so make sure you have a good bite on it before you torque it. Best of luck, that usually works

Thanks - I'll pick up some liquid wrench tomorrow and give it a try. I already have the small screwdriver set.

Make sure you don't strip the hex or straight ends of them... then it gets worse. Be patient.

19 years? Might not be poly. Still, protect the body.

All good advice. You also want to be careful pulling the knobs off once the set screws are loose.

Sometimes tightening the screws breaks them free so you can loosen them.

I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it works out.

Make sure your screwdrivers have parallel faces at the end. The ones with replaceable tips are often like this. The basic screwdriver is wedge-shaped at the end and is a flawed design that actually wedges the tool out of the slot when you apply torque. Careful heating of the grub screw with a soldering iron usually does it.

Thanks to all - Liquid Wrench & parallel face screwdriver did the trick. One of the four was actually a push-on that was also stuck. Patient leveraging with a soup spoon on thick cardboard eventually pulled that one loose.

Thanks to all - Liquid Wrench & parallel face screwdriver did the trick. One of the four was actually a push-on that was also stuck. Patient leveraging with a soup spoon on thick cardboard eventually pulled that one loose.

– dlaf_2

For future use, a couple other things that have worked in the past for non-set screw knobs are twine/fishing line wrapped underneath the knob, and (courtesy of a Ross pedal guy) bent paper clips to hook under the knob.

I'll remember those - thanks.

Register Sign in to join the conversation