The Workbench

Guitar Setup Zoom Meeting Stream

Thanks! Downloading it now.

May I remind you all....every time you use Zoom, you have to send me a nickel!

May I remind you all....every time you use Zoom, you have to send me a nickel!

– Billy Zoom

Not only that but you got a $1.00 mention!

And get that $1.00 from Tim for the Tru Arc mention.

A very generous gesture of you. Thanks for this. I couldn’t catch your course in real time, but I’m going to hit it today!

Anytime, let me know if something doesn’t make sense.

Curt, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, I gleaned some valuable information from your setups especially in what tools to use for leveling and crowning frets and the techniques that you use to accomplish it. I'm finally getting the confidence to to attempt this myself, but I need to pick up a beater for learning purposes. I certainly don't want to do this the first time on one of my expensive guitars.

Like many of us, I have been doing basic setups on my own guitars for many years. Truss rod adjustments, string height and setting intonation, and I've been adding to this set of setup skills over the past few years. I have a good set of nut/bridge files and fret polishing consumables (and metal fretboard protectors), and I have been able to do those tasks for a while now too.

Dressing my own frets is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but I didn't know exactly what tools I needed or even how to use them once I get them. Your explanation of the tools and techniques is very understandable and logical.

QUESTION :

My question for you is : how do you go about dressing the frets on a fretboard with a compound radius? I have a 2017 Fender Elite Stratocaster, with a 9.5" - 14" compound radius. How do you go about leveling the frets on one of these guitars?

Thanks again for the in depth setup lesson, I picked up a lot of new (to me) information that I can apply to my own guitars and save some money by not having to pay for somebody else to do it.

A compound radius is nothing new and can be performed on any guitar if your frets are tall enough. It's nicer when he board has the same shape. Many of the 7.25" Fender boards are flattened from the factory starting at the 16 fret or so which allows a two step bend without the Fender 7.25 lisp.

To achieve this flatten all your frets to 7.25 then remark all the frets then carefully use a 10, 12 or whatever block you like and drag it equally over the top of the frets and as far as you want. You may have to make a bridge change or not depending which radius you want to match.

Just about every vintage guitar with original frets has a slightly conical radius.

Great video Curt. Thanks for taking the time to share the info.

If there's anything that's Zoomable that humans might be interested in seeing I might do another one, let me know. I'm in elf mode so it would be sometime next year.

Thanks for taking the time do this and share it with us!

If there's anything that's Zoomable that humans might be interested in seeing I might do another one, let me know. I'm in elf mode so it would be sometime next year.

– Curt Wilson

How about the solo from "My Best Friend's Girl"?

Register Sign in to join the conversation