The Workbench

Gretsch Vintage V neck profile

I am interested in the G6120T-59, but I can’t find one in my area to try out. Looking at the Gretsch website, I like everything about it, but have a concern about the “Vintage V” neck. I really like the “Standard U” necks, and I am wondering if the “Vintage V” will be OK for me.

I don’t mind a soft V, or even a pronounced V that resolves to a C or a U.

As always, all info or opinions are welcomed and appreciated ...

My favorite neck.

Necks are so personal when it comes to how they feel. Everyone is different.

I'm not good at descriptions, so others can chime in, but I consider it a soft V.

Very comfortable feeling to me.

never played a Gretsch that had what felt like a V to me

never played a Gretsch that had what felt like a V to me

– tabletop

I haven't either, the 1898 Parlor I had was a radicle V, but somehow was not uncomfortable.

For us fingerstyle players a soft V and shallow C are quite often favored as they comfortably suit thumb placement. I have a couple of a more medium C and have no issues switching between them. The only profile I can't live with is the deep D that was on my Super Chet. It was like the necks on Flamenco guitars and unless you have huge hands, you can't wrap your thumb around for fretting.

I haven't either, the 1898 Parlor I had was a radicle V, but somehow was not uncomfortable.

– RCgold

yeah I have a '39 Epiphone Zenith with a pretty pronounced V. Maybe when you've played something seriously V'd a more subtle V is barely noticeable

It’s a soft v. They make a few of their resonators with a hard v. The vintage v models are much softer. Especially nice with rolled edges.

so did vintage '59 6120's have a V neck?

I don't really think my '59 6119 does. Might just be too subtle for me

I just meant that the “vintage” V is soft. As opposed to the one the reso has, which is listed as a “medium” V but is much more pronounced.

I can’t speak as to which guitar actually has which neck. You’d notice the V vs the standard U.

Give me a few minutes and I can get some comparison pics.

so did vintage '59 6120's have a V neck?

I don't really think my '59 6119 does. Might just be too subtle for me

– tabletop

Don't know about 59, 58 did not, it most closely resembled the White Penguin, wished I had kept all the pictures of it, I did post one here when I measured the neck. Picture probably not much help. Sorry.

Scratch that “few minutes” part. I can’t find a good camera angle for this.

I have never played an original '59 6120 so can't say if it had a soft V neck, but when I got my first Setzer Sig it felt exactly like my '63 and '64 6120s I have owned. I love that neck shape. It's pretty subtle but very playable.

My '53 Vintage Edition Duo Jet's (V-neck) is pretty close to my other Jet. Not much difference between the two really - It isn't deep at all and very comfortable.

My '53 Vintage Edition Duo Jet's (V-neck) is pretty close to my other Jet. Not much difference between the two really - It isn't deep at all and very comfortable.

– BirdsNBats

First time that I've heard a '53 VS Jet has a Vintage V neck?

Same here, although I'm not surprised. My '59 VS Jet has an even shallower soft V than the SSLVO. I wish it was a bit bigger but it doesn't stop me playing it and I have forgotten about it after 5 minutes of playing.

My mistake! the '53 VS has a standard "U" neck (lol) no wonder it felt "close" ha, ha,

Register Sign in to join the conversation