General tech questions

G5120 truss rod wrench size

Hi all...just picked up my first Gretsch, really digging it! It's a used G5120 and could use a truss adjustment. What size wrench do I need? Thanks!

I think it's 4mm, but don't quote me.

I think it's 4mm, but don't quote me.

– wabash slim

Thanks! I was afraid you'd say that lol. I think it's stripped. Ugh.

Try different sizes---one may fit. 4mm may not be right (it's the standard IKEA size), and it seems really unlikely that someone rounded out a truss rod on a reasonably new guitar.

Try different sizes---one may fit. 4mm may not be right (it's the standard IKEA size), and it seems really unlikely that someone rounded out a truss rod on a reasonably new guitar.

– wabash slim

Thanks...yeah I've tried a bunch. The nut even looks kinda chewed up. It is entirely possible there's big time user error on my end, gonna bring it to a local builder and let him have a peek.

Ordered up "the gripper" from stew mac, hopefully it'll grab. Thanks for the advice gents!

Update... it's not stripped. It's seized. I know you aren't supposed to force a truss but I forced the hell out of it. Dumb luck, nothing snapped, and it's set up. Whew.

Update... it's not stripped. It's seized. I know you aren't supposed to force a truss but I forced the hell out of it. Dumb luck, nothing snapped, and it's set up. Whew.

Register Sign in to join the conversation