General tech questions

G5120 truss rod wrench size

Hi all...just picked up my first Gretsch, really digging it! It's a used G5120 and could use a truss adjustment. What size wrench do I need? Thanks!

I think it's 4mm, but don't quote me.

I think it's 4mm, but don't quote me.

– wabash slim

Thanks! I was afraid you'd say that lol. I think it's stripped. Ugh.

Try different sizes---one may fit. 4mm may not be right (it's the standard IKEA size), and it seems really unlikely that someone rounded out a truss rod on a reasonably new guitar.

Try different sizes---one may fit. 4mm may not be right (it's the standard IKEA size), and it seems really unlikely that someone rounded out a truss rod on a reasonably new guitar.

– wabash slim

Thanks...yeah I've tried a bunch. The nut even looks kinda chewed up. It is entirely possible there's big time user error on my end, gonna bring it to a local builder and let him have a peek.

Ordered up "the gripper" from stew mac, hopefully it'll grab. Thanks for the advice gents!

Update... it's not stripped. It's seized. I know you aren't supposed to force a truss but I forced the hell out of it. Dumb luck, nothing snapped, and it's set up. Whew.

Update... it's not stripped. It's seized. I know you aren't supposed to force a truss but I forced the hell out of it. Dumb luck, nothing snapped, and it's set up. Whew.

Thats is always a touchy thing for me..I love my guitar necks "just right" That requires neck adjustments be made. I have a studio owner friend of mine to do this for me and he always makes it look so easy. I just can't get the system down on turning clockwise or opposite that. and even more confusion when adjusting different types of guitars such as acoustics with the adjustment located on the head of the neck and then my others which has it located at the body end of the neck..

Register Sign in to join the conversation