The Workbench

Bigsby on a Cabronita

Since we're talking about screwing bridges right to the body (over in Proteus' thread), the TonePros ROLLER bridge looks like a cool Bigsby solution as well....

– ruger9

But then you run into neck vs. bridge radius trouble again. Almost every TOM (except the Schroeder ones) has a 12" radius, or flatter. With a regular TOM you can file some saddles deeper to get to almost the correct radius, but with a roller bridge, you obviously can't.

A question on the Fender American Pro Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge: is it height adjustable? I know it has inserts and posts... but is there a way to raise the action if wanted? Or do you have to put washers under the bridge (on the posts of course)?

It's height-adjustable. Leetle tahny allen-head screw down through those holes above the bridge posts on either side of the saddles.

Thanks Proteus. That'll do fine. I think for my project, I'm going to go with the Fender Am.Pro Jazzmaster/Jaguar saddle, that saddle that comes with the B5 kit has threaded saddles, and they seem to be universally hated.

Before I commit to drilling any holes, to be SURE this is something I want to do to this guitar (because once it's drilled, it's done), I think I might get this kit for starters. Then if I dig the whole thing, I will go ahead and get the JM/JG bridge, remove the Vibra-mate, and do it "right".

https://reverb.com/item/640...

You'll have to shim the neck a little because you'll lose some break angle with the Vibramate.

You'll have to shim the neck a little because you'll lose some break angle with the Vibramate.

– Curt Wilson

Crap!!! Well, it would be temporary, because I really don't like the way the Vibramate looks anyway... the whole thing looks big and clunky to me, not elegant like a B5 and a JM bridge would look... the Vibramate would just be an "insurance policy" that I do indeed want to put a Bigsby on this guitar before I start drilling.

Thanks for the warning Curt!

I would suggest trying all this out on a cheap Warmoth body rather than the original Fender body. You can often find ready-to-go Cab bodies at Warmoth or similar. The quality is very high and you have the option of going back to stock to sell if you want. They can even drill any holes you need very accurately.

Yeah I found this video yesterday, I thought it was also pretty helpful on the issue:

The B16 is made for Tellys- it‘s high responsive, smooth, stays perfectly in tune, looks uber-cool and is build from Paul for Leo in 1953. It‘s the original and is worth all the effort.

The B16 is made for Tellys- it‘s high responsive, smooth, stays perfectly in tune, looks uber-cool and is build from Paul for Leo in 1953. It‘s the original and is worth all the effort.

– Stefan

I'm talking specifically about a Cabronita tho- 2 Filtertron-sized pickup, so the B16 doesn't apply. It does look uber-cool tho... except for the bar, I hate those wire bars, I prefer the flat ones, specifically the "butter knife" one (Duane Eddy bar, I believe)

Cool informative thread! I'm figuring out what to do on my next build and i'm thinking cabronita. And I love Bigsby's. That Callaham bridge looks nice but I also like the idea of the modified ashtray bridge. Vibramates don't look right to me.

Good luck with your quest, I'm looking forward to your sollution.

I'm talking specifically about a Cabronita tho- 2 Filtertron-sized pickup, so the B16 doesn't apply. It does look uber-cool tho... except for the bar, I hate those wire bars, I prefer the flat ones, specifically the "butter knife" one (Duane Eddy bar, I believe)

– ruger9

That‘s an older picture, meanwhile I‘m using the vintage narrow handle. And you can cut the B16 if you prefer different Pickups.

Register Sign in to join the conversation