The Workbench

Floor Systems

Before starting the floor system at the schoolhouse I knew I wanted to make sure it was as acoustically correct as could be built. The stone walls are 18" thick, some of the original floor joists had bark on them. 100 cubic yards of dirt was removed and an independent floor system was build that neither supports or is in contact with the walls. Foam, lots of foam.

It's been almost nine years and there have been many requests to record in here specifically drums. So if anyone is building an addition or a house I would recommend thinking it through.

A few pictures of the process are linked below.

https://www.oldschoolguitar...

Great to see a plan well executed, Curt. I didn't realize you had done all of that with the floors. Very impressive. Do you have access to the space under the joists, maybe from an exterior wall?

I remember seeing these when you did the build. That's intense. You certainly had it done right.

Great to see a plan well executed, Curt. I didn't realize you had done all of that with the floors. Very impressive. Do you have access to the space under the joists, maybe from an exterior wall?

– Metman

From a hatch door on the addition floor. Had to build a retaining wall to keep the back wall from collapsing. When it was built in 1825 they stopped at the shale line which was 30 inches.

Better explanation of the retaining wall under the addition. If that dirt against the back wall was removed and not supported the entire back wall would crumble at some point.

It's a freaking above ground bunker. Very solid. Very cool!

That's really impressive! That's building your house on a solid foundation. The big bad wolf has no chance.

Pretty amazing stuff, as usual!

I totally assumed this was a thread about midi controller footpedals or something

He can always tell when a drummer is at the door. The knocking speeds up. (sorry... old joke..)

Register Sign in to join the conversation