General tech questions

Flatwound Electric 12-String Set

I'm looking for an electric flatwound 12-string set that isn't based on the typical "10" for the high "E" string. Any already packaged sets based on a "9" high "E"? Goal is reduced tension.

I think I have only seen 9's 12 strings sets in roundwound... but the set you want may sure be out there.

flats on a 12er? sweet jesus,the string tension would be enough to rip a set neck like the one on the Gibson doubleneck clean off the guitar.

I have used Pyramid Flats on my 5422-12 for several years. No problem.

contact our fellow gdp toneman don butler

http://tone-man.com/guitar-...

he's got the goods

other alternative is to cobble a set together of thomastik pure nickel flats...

true vintage tone

cheers

I use thomastik 12s. I’ve never seen any pyramid for sale here. How do they compare to thomastik in tension and sound?

I’ve had the ball break off at the end of the thomastik high e while restringing a few times now and are looking for alternative

T.I. makes a flatwound "ten"set. I'd imagine you could spring for a package of those and buy individual strings to make up the "high" strings (although I'm not sure where one would get T.I. singles). I buy my strings from stringsandbeyond online. They have good prices and carry a large selection of strings, including T.I., Pyramid, and Curt Mangan, to name a few.

flats on a 12er? sweet jesus,the string tension would be enough to rip a set neck like the one on the Gibson doubleneck clean off the guitar.

– macphisto

flats on a 12 is the classic Rickenbacker 12 sound!

pick of the ricks in nj makes/sells custom 12 sets of thomastiks...based on the thomastik 10-44 set

http://www.pickofthericks.c...

thomastiks use a thinner inner steel core and then wrap the wound strings with 2 layers of pure nickel flat wrap..so a very soft and low tension string

all plain strings..high e & b..are basically all the same regardless of brand..made of carbon/swedish steel and coated with thin layer of tin or brass

pyramids are also great pure nickel flatwound strings, but not quite as low tension feeling as thoms

thomastik and pyramids are about the only string makers with flatwound pure nickel strings..costly but great sounding and long lasting

usa made flats are all stainless steel wrap

cheers

– WB

absolutely...rics used to come with german made maxima pure nickel strings...maxima went out of business..john hall at ric knew thomastiks were the closest in sound and feel, and went to them for oem ric strings..but thomastik would not alter their gauges..so no deal..price might have factored in as well..as pure nickel is pricey $$$

so current rics come with ghs oem steel groundwounds...

not nearly as good!! but they make the gauge hall wants and cheaper

cheers

Flats are GREAT on 12-strings - especially 12s with bright pickups (like, I dunno, a RIC maybe?). It tames and rounds and civilizes the sound. You still get all the character, but it becomes easier to manage with EQ, and if anything there's MORE note definition because excessive upper-harmonic energy from an overload of strings doesn't completely overrun the fundamentals.

It's almost like a little bit of built-in compression...but not as squeezy.

Just a VERY elegant and polished tone allround.

– WB

I tried this for the same reason Walter mentioned, and the guitar was very difficult to play, plus it didn't yield that much of a difference that rounds delivered with less pain.

Register Sign in to join the conversation