General tech questions

Dynasonic middle position

Hi, I've read here and elsewhere that old dyna jets did not have the rwrp pickup wiring so they did not cancel hum in the middle position, but the new ones are wired for hum cancelling when both engaged. Do they sound better the old way? I like single coils 100% and hum doesn't bother me, so I'm thinking of trying this out, any info or advice? Thanks!

IIRC the TVJones T-Armonds hum cancel -- not so sure on the standard issue Dyna's -- but vintage never had that feature. And I'm perfectly fine with that. YMMV.

I have two guitars with modern Tokiwa-made Gretsch Dynas. One guitar has a stock pair, and one guitar has a replacement pair. Neither pair are hum cancelling.

Hmm, I really don't know about the wiring then, but mine doesn't hum in the middle, or maybe just a barely audible hum. Its just a 2016 silver jet. Another off topic question; I got some TV risers for the dynas, and while it worked perfectly in the bridge, when I tried to put it under the neck pup the black part of the dyna basically stayed the same height and only the nickel cover raised up, so I unfortunately couldn't do that, and way to solve that?

Hmm, I really don't know about the wiring then, but mine doesn't hum in the middle, or maybe just a barely audible hum. Its just a 2016 silver jet. Another off topic question; I got some TV risers for the dynas, and while it worked perfectly in the bridge, when I tried to put it under the neck pup the black part of the dyna basically stayed the same height and only the nickel cover raised up, so I unfortunately couldn't do that, and way to solve that?

– Chmason85

Did the bobbin separate from the cover?

Is the bobbin the black part with the set screws and slugs? That whole piece just kinda detached from the housing and just stays where it is, like just falls out if it's not in the guitar

The bobbin is the part that houses and protects the coil.

AFAIK, modern Dynas are both the same polarity, although they are all backwards compared to the originals. Most aftermarket pickup sets come with a reverse wound neck pickup unless you request otherwise. Non-reverse sounds better in the middle position. FWIW, modern Dynas and TV Jones pickups are all the reverse of other pickups and nobody knows why. TVJ's will come with a reverse(non-reverse) neck pickup unless requested otherwise.

i know bz has always spoken up for non-humbucking middle position..when dynas made their initial mark, they were pretty much all the same....it was one pickup..and how you mounted it..neck or bridge didn't really matter (beyond +/- tolerance specs)

i think leo fender might have been first to reverse wind single coil at some point...jazzmaster? or jag?

when you use humbucking mid position the very phase cancelling that cancels hum also cancels frequencies...thus your tone is changed

a brash bitey fender guy will like the top end that un-hummed mid position pickups give..someone that wants the ability for pristine sound with no hum will prefer the reverse polarity hum cancelling

really up to the players needs

i like the tone of non but the beauty of silence when needed...

why you need 2 guitars.. one of each! hah

cheers

They came in two heights, Gretsch didn't always use both.

Register Sign in to join the conversation