General tech questions

Duane Eddy Handle

I need one more too. Pricing has seemed to go up since I bought my last ones a few years back, but still worth it.

Still my favorite handle out there. They feel "just right" on any Gretsch!

Pappy, yes, that's the one.

My favorite too. Best looking and functioning handle there is IMO. Four of my guitars have one.

Thank so for the help! My wife asked for a Christmas list and this is on it.

My favorite as well. It's just the most comfortable and natural feeling for me. Something about the little bit of extra mass seems to make a difference in the feel of the action as well.

Good timing Pappy, and jogged my mind to get in gear and get one.

Just ordered one from Angela Instruments. Early Christmas present to myself, so my Gretsches will all be "DE'd" LOL

OK, you guys convinced me. Have to buy one to try one. I like the standard handle just fine but I might be mssing something. Can't have that...

Blame Deed, she's the ultimate pitch lady...............for anything "DE" ! LOL

It is a super comfortable handle. For the longest time I thought you needed a whole Bigsby unit, but here recently I saw people were buying the handles themselves so I looked into it. I love my 6118 and would like to take it up a notch and this is the way that would get the most attention from me.

On my 5422 I like the "Chet" arm the best, but on my Ibanez AFS75T only the "Duane" arm feels right.

Don't blame me. : ) Back in the long ago, when Duane and Fred were first working on the DE6120, Duane was adamant about the Bigsby handle, that it be exactly like the one on his original guitar. The problem was that there were no longer handles like that available. Sooo...

It just so happened that at that same time, the Bigsby company was coming into the hands of the new owner. A search was begun and the original molds for the handle were found. Duane has one of the very early castings, sent to him to approve. That was darn exciting!

I'm adding a great story here, I find it a fascinating addition to the Gretsch history that some of you may not know. (Ok, maybe two or three of you.)

Did you know?...

Genuine mutual respect between marketplace competitors. It's an admirable tradition which I sincerely hope continues in the modern age.

A great read Deed, with an object ethical lesson for all.

The DE handle arrived this week from Angela Instruments, and looks great.

Been very busy with work, but want to get it installed this Holiday week.

Nice to have a just a little more of "DE" in the house, even though it's only the handle, and not the whole guitar! LOL

Oddly enough, the two handles in the above photos are not the same. The real one narrows more at the narrowest point and is shaped more like the regular vintage or "spoon" handle. The other is a bit flatter. I have one of the earlier versions and I like it, but I think I would like the one in the top photo even more.

Probably have to buy the whole guitar to get the "real one" LOL

The Gretsch/Fender replacements, from two different batches, a few years apart, are a little thicker, but still better than the butter knifes.

Bagged in original FMIC bags, so I just have to assume that the "real" ones only come on the DE guitar.

Better pic angle, but they are different, and the newest one looks like this also:

The DE handle is made by Bigsby. There's only one.

I think the variation you see in them is probably due to them being hand-finished to an extent. I can't think of a machine that would clean up an aluminium casting in that shape efficently and cleanly.

The DE handle is made by Bigsby. There's only one.

– Deed Eddy

That's what I thought Deed............and my low quality pic next to yours is hackery at its' best!

Love the DE handles.

Can someone succinctly state what differentiates the DE handle from the butter knife handle? I am assuming that there must be greater mass beneath the top of the handle that can't be seen in overhead photographs. To me, they look very similar.

The feel in the hand is perfect. The butter knife is okay and functional but oddly, heavier than the Duane Eddy handle. I got a DE handle a year ago from Street Sounds and it felt identically to the way I remember the one my long gone '56 6120; that is to say, like an old friend. I'll never go back.

Not really any more mass, but the DE's do have a more sculpted shape to them, and are just a little thicker - top to bottom, at the thinnest/narrowest portion of the top view. Hope that makes sense.

Here's a standard butter knife unit/top view.

Look closely at Deed's pics, and a few inches from the pivot/screw, the handle narrows on the DE for a bit, and then goes wider again.

They just feel "right"

Can someone succinctly state what differentiates the DE handle from the butter knife handle? I am assuming that there must be greater mass beneath the top of the handle that can't be seen in overhead photographs. To me, they look very similar.

– Ric12string

They do look similar from the top, Bob. There's more thickness at the handle end, almost like if you dipped a "butter knife" in molasses and held it point down.

The only issue I have with the Duane handle is that they always seem to loosen themselves. A friend of mine who loves the Duane handle on his RHH actually had his fall off during a gig. I have thought about this and no, I don't hold Deed or Duane personally responsible. But maybe it is a way of them trying to get all their handles back.

Register Sign in to join the conversation