General tech questions

DIY: How to pin a bridge.

Great to hear guys. As far as the history of this, I have no idea at all, though it seems completely ideal to do and may have been practiced in certain circles. I've had bass rosin around the house for over ten years now, as I used to bow my Les Pauls and Tele ala J. Page - don't laugh ; ) - I used to be more into that atmospheric sound a cello bow can get on guitar. I knew the nature of rosin, so it just made intuitive sense to me to use it on a floater, as the job of rosin is to create friction.

As far as your vibration Ratrod, don't be afraid to really get a good film on the bridge base to try to seat the bridge more solidly. Might indeed be just what you need.

Got some bow rosin today. I thought it would be a (semi) liquid substance but it's more like a britle barnstone. It feels like a very hard and dried up maple sirup.

It's very grippy stuff and it's only sticky under pressure. Even with a pinned bridge there's still a bit of movement. After I rubbed the rosin on the bottom of the bridge base and reinstalled it, there was no movement whatsoever.

It did reduce the buzz a little. It's only there when I pick hard near the bridge. You can't even hear it when amplified.

Bottom line: this works like a charm. A great way to secure a floating bridge without using tape, glue or someting that permantly alters (or damages) your instrument.

One up for Cliff.

Hey Fellers,

I don't know if I'd do this on a vintage instrument, but I have three new Gretsches, and I used a small daub of clear silicon caulk under the feet of my bridges. They don't budge, not even a little bit!!

Since my guitars have a poly finish, the silicon won't hurt them if I decide to change bridges or move them. Comes off easily too.

Very glad to read this, Ratrod. Indeed that rosin is very hard - one wouldn't imagine it would have "sticky" gripping properties, until after it is applied that is. Hopefully you picked up bass rosin, as that is the least hard rosin. And, again, it does become less brittle when warmed - maybe a hairdryer would help do that, should anyone need to.

Brickwall, that is also a good idea. Yet, it just occurred to me that caulk very likely has a dampening effect, however slight, on vibration transference, which rosin does not.

Hey Cliff,

You could be right my brother. I don't know, for the stuff that I am playing it doesn't seem to matter. Once the bass player and the drummer kick in you won't hear it anyway!

Next time I have to move them though, I'm going to try out that rosin trick. That sounds ultra cool!!!

Thanks for hearing my opinion, Brickwall. Just seems to me that it might be something to consider ; ). Best to you.

Wow, I'm on my way to the music store CG. Thanks for an awesome idea man. I'll come back with a review next time I change my strings.

+1 Cliff's Gallup

I think I'm getting ready to try Ratrod's method, though I'm no woodworker. I pinned the bridge on my first Gretsch ( a 1989 6120W) using the "small brad" method, and it worked fine.

Edited to say: I went to two of the main hardware stores in my town, and neither of them had the correct hex screws. I have the two that came in my 6119-1959 Nashville Classic (I removed them from that guitar because the bridge was pinned in the WRONG position from the factory. It doesn't slide around, but it took me awhile to forgive the factory for that).

Hi ! This si actually an excellent thread ! It's why even if it's quite old, as the question is regularly occuring, it's time to throw it up ! :) But, unfortunately, some old pics from page 1 disappeared… :( Ratrod, could you please update them ?

Thanks a lot, and congrats for these informative pages !!!8-)

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't noticed.

The old pics were on an old computer that crashed so all those pictures are lost.

Cheers Ratrod,

I followed your tips and performed minor surgery on my Epiphone Broadway, the patient came through singing. I used Strat saddle grub screws and they've worked a treat and I'm sure that she sounds slightly tighter accoustically.

So i dont actually want to pin my bridge, but this is the closest discussion i could find to my question.

I want to learn how to re-adjust by floating bridge (space control) on my 6120.

I guess my right hand is pretty heavy, as I tend to push down on it quite a bit, which tends to make something resonate on my guitar. Just looking for some guidance on how to adjust it every once in a while (tired of paying my local luthier every time)

I am just getting into doing my own set-ups and such so I am a bit apprehensive about trying to do this and not knowing the "tricks of the trade."

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

GDP member Mal Barclay wrote a really good setup guide that includes instructions on setting intonation with a floating bridge. You can find it HERE

Register Sign in to join the conversation