General tech questions

Dirty Lyrics

Folks:

I recently wrote some tunes and some of them have lyrics, but I'm not an experienced vocalist in a anyway, considering I've been in an instrumental band for 10 years.

I wanna do the whole gravelly voice thing, but I'm not sure how to exactly get that tone through the mic.

Smoking and drinking jokes aside, how can I get that great gravely dirty tone?

I'm a choir boy in voice and a sinner at heart, so i have to get them to switch places.

Maybe the choir boy voice is what sets your gravely dirty songs apart?

Oops....I thought this was going to be a thread about double entendre lyrics. I'll go back to my corner, now.

You could always sing through a bullet mic like JD Wilkes does. That might be a step in the right direction. Watch here.

I'm singing and writing for many years now. And I learned one thing: Do not pretend!

Practicing makes your voice stronger and gives you more flexibility but in the end it's always you. I like authenticity and most of the people have a built-in radar for that, too. So let the choir boy sing from his (sinner) heart and if there's some dirt in it the audience will hear it.

Technically, you can overdrive your voice with a preamp or even a pedal and it will add some grit.

I agree with sascha. For people who like The Smiths one of the coolest thing about that band except for Johnny Marr's awesomeness is that the songs are happy melodies, happy progressions and riffs with depressing lyrics. You could sing your songs the way you naturally sing them but the lyrics will carry the dirt. It may be more entertaining for the listener to hear raunchy lyrics sung by a choir boy. That shouldn't keep you from developing your rock and roll voice. Elvis Presly sang Jailhouse Rock and Love Me with completely different voices.

ya man...if ya sing thru a bullet mic..maybe even thru and old amp...(then mic the amp)... our harp player once used an old mic...like a bullet...I called it the CHEESE mic because it had such an old cheesey sound...it was awesome...

40 years of whiskey and cigarettes and shouting over a band. Ask Bob Seeger or Tom Waits.

As a punk vocalist, I can recommend warm tea or milk with honey in it. Drink some of that before you try to sing "dirty." It'll protect your throat a little and make it easier to get growlier. Other than that, just try and find the sound you want and practice.

Thanks folks!

I think I might go the bullet route, but I need to find one I can afford.

I think I'll try the sweet singin, this is all VERY new to me. You could probably fit all the lines i've sung onstage on one side of a 3x5 card.

40 years of whiskey and cigarettes and shouting over a band. Ask Bob Seeger or Tom Waits.

– wabash slim

– wabash slim

Funny thing about Bob Seger, until I started singing his songs I didn't realize how high his range is.

All that gravel makes it sound lower...until you try to sing it.

Singer Seger songs has added gravel to my voice and now I can't shake it. No more Daryl Hall sweetness.

Thanks folks!

I think I'll try the sweet singin, this is all VERY new to me. You could probably fit all the lines i've sung onstage on one side of a 3x5 card.

– Buddy Mercury

Thanks folks!

– BuddyMercury

You could probably find a cheap-o, knock-around one on eBay.

Another trick I've learned that helps my voice stay strong and lubricated is to chew gum while singing. Gum along with plenty of water helps my vocal endurance.

Thanks folks!

– Buddy Mercury

Good luck, Buddy! Just don't expect it to turn your voice into something completely different. And while you're at it: Now it's time to get a bigger card. ;-)

Yes bullet mic.

If you're looking for cheap but good: Superlux D112C.

Hard to find in the US.

Or a Nady VHM-7 or Tailfeather Torpedo. You can use these as a normal vocal mic too. They become dirty when you cup them.

Thanks everyone! I'm lookin at bullets on Ebay and I think I found some good stuff.

But more broadly, how can I practice singing and remembering lyrics? I'm a vet when it comes to being in a band, but not when it comes to lyrics or singing!

How do I get the best/most compelling/most honest performance. I don't want to make the mistake of thinking I can juet get up there and do this.

I've done karaoke, but with the words right in front of you, it helps a lot and also I've only done mostly old country, russian/punk/exotica-billy is a new experience (maybe for the world)

Practice growling like a dog then use words in that growl. Tightening the back of the throat helps a bit. Just bring it out of the back of your throat. It does take practice though.

For growling think "Tim the tool man" kind of growl.

I like a kick in the balls........Thats Intertainment la la lalalaaa la laaaa.

Register Sign in to join the conversation