The Workbench

Chickenbacker Lemmy bass help, please…

Hi gang,

A guy I know got his hands on a "Chickenbacker" Lemmy bass (I think the original is called 4004LK). However, it's dead quiet - as in dead - so he asked if I could take a look at it. I've helped him with a coupla other basses back in the day, when I worked at the local music store. Another guy has tried to fix it for him (I'm not in the business anymore, really...), but it just doesn't work. So it's in my basement at the moment, but without some kind of schematic/wiring diagram I don't even know where to begin. It's got three pickups, a three-way switch and two pots. I've searched online for a diagram, but (probably) since they originally just made 60 of'em, they're not even listed on the schematics-page on Rickenbacker's own website. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anders

I suggest you contact Rickenbacker directly

I suggest you contact Rickenbacker directly

– WinnieThomas

I would if it was a real one. This is a Chinese knock-off, hence the «Chickenbacker» heading...

Anders

All I can offer is the 3-way toggle is middle & neck/all three pickups/ bridge only

All I can offer is the 3-way toggle is middle & neck/all three pickups/ bridge only

– RustyG

Thanks! That's kinda what I suspected. The wiring (done by somebody else, LOL) is somewhat confusing, so I'm really not that surprised it doesn't make a sound...

Anders

I’ve asked around for a schematic for it, waiting on a reply. This maybe a bit over the top, but if you wired push/pull pots for each pickup, you’d get every combination. Depends on what you mate wants.

Update: It's alive! Aside from a bare, long ground wire from one of the pickups (aka. a short waiting to happen - why would anyone wanna do that?) and a layout based on anything but common sense, much less wiring diagrams, it turned out the tip of the jackplug (while plugged) touched the tone pot and shorted the whole thing as well. Looks like whoever routed the output didn't take proper measurements.

Cleaned up the wiring and turned the jack to an angle where it didn't touch anything. Keeping fingers crossed that it stays that way...

Anders

Isn’t that when you wrap a length of electrical tape around the housing of the unintentionally offending pot?

I would if it was a real one. This is a Chinese knock-off, hence the «Chickenbacker» heading...

Anders

– gretschoholic

Don't do that, or a mustached legion of fluffy guys in Hawaiian shirts will come break down your door and beat you with tube socks filled with exploded R tailpiece parts.

Isn’t that when you wrap a length of electrical tape around the housing of the unintentionally offending pot?

– Proteus

Yup, did that too. Just in case.

Register Sign in to join the conversation