General tech questions

Can Laquer be Applied Over Vinyl?

I'm planning a refinish project, and have found a Vinyl Headstock logo (non-Gretsch don't worry). I'd like to place the logoon the headstock and cover with Nitrocellulose Lacquer much like I've done with waterslide decals in the past. Anyone know if these materials are compatible?

I would think so. The tops of some vintage Jets were vinyl drum coverings, right?

If they aren't directly compatible, a layer of shellac between the vinyl and the lacquer should resolve the issue. Shellac gets along with every finish.

If they aren't directly compatible, a layer of shellac between the vinyl and the lacquer should resolve the issue. Shellac gets along with every finish. -- seadevil

Well said! Pay attention to this suggestion...he's right on!

I was going to say that the needle may not play correctly in the grooves, but then I realized you weren't talking about that kind of vinyl...

I was going to say that the needle may not play correctly in the grooves, but then I realized you weren't talking about that kind of vinyl... -- barryg_nyc
Ha that's funny!

Spraying nitro over water slide decals isn't an issue. If you're concerned dust a couple coats on the go to town. Shellac is probably fine but I would decide on one or the other and use it from start to finish.

Curt,

I've done waterside decals before with no issues, but what I have now is a die-cut vinyl logo. Not sure if that will work.

Curto.

Curt,

I've done waterside decals before with no issues, but what I have now is a die-cut vinyl logo. Not sure if that will work.

Curto. -- Curto

The issue with vinyl letters is that it's thick stuff and you might die of old age before you finish burying it in clear. I usually use a high solid polyurethane for vinyl which works well. It usually take two to three applications carefully sanding between them.

All of the Red and All of the Black and all of the Logos are Vinyl graphics, as are all of My guitars. I use water base topcoat, 8 to 12 coats. Watersides are made of a material that is resistant to solvant lacquer which usually curdles vinyl.

www.damvguitars.com

Register Sign in to join the conversation