General tech questions

Can anyone ID this Gretsch made around 2003

Gretsch mini humbucker question -- G5225 -- pick up adjustment. I just got a used g5225 and it sounds kinda flat. So I know I need to put some new strings on it but was wondering if the pick ups -- mini humbuckers -- are adjustable.

New strings and a pickup height adjustment should cure that.

I'm a proponent of matching the pole piece height to the string arc, cranking the pickups up close to the strings, and then adjusting everything to taste.

I generally raise a pickup until it begins to affect intonation and then back it down bit by bit until it doesn't. I usually don't adjust individual pole pieces unless there's one string that is much louder than the others. Using the method described above, I seldom raise an individual pole piece. A quieter string is usually a sign of a dead string. With good quality strings, dead ones are rare - but they do still happen.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions here on the "right" way to adjust pickups - YMMV.

BTW - it looks like you got yourself a nice clean one there! Enjoy!

Super. Thanks for the feedback. The pick ups, as they sit now, look far, far lower (away from the strings) than any other guitar I have. But since I have heard rumblings about some Gretsch guitar pick ups not being adjustable, I thought I would ask before I started tinkering. I have learned over the years that it is much easier to screw something up, than it is to improve it. And the funny thing is that on this guitar, the pickups are canted a bit DOWN towards the center of the guitar ... on both the neck and the bridge pickups. In other words, on the neck pick up, the neck side is higher than the bridge side and the bridge pick up is higher on the bridge side, than it is on the neck side.

Welcome aboard! I'm with Sascha. Install the much nicer indent-G Gretsch knobs and switch tip. These are something that will make your new guitar look better and something you can always change back easily if/when you sell it.

You'll find Gretsches are like Lays potato chips.....betcha' can't have just one! The more you learn about them the more the fascination with other models and styles......and there's always the vintage world to entice you!

Installing pieces of a rubber mouse pad underneath the pickups will help you in adjusting height and leveling the pickups overall.

Tarton: it sounds like you are saying that the mini humbuckers should be level ......in both directions? As I mentioned in an earlier post above, both pick ups are noticeably canted/slanted towards the center of the guitar. I've never seen that before......

Ideally, the pickups should not have a cant to them-- the pickup tops (where the polepiece screws are located) should be parallel with the plane of the strings. It's probably not making much of a difference in the sound, but it sounds like for each pickup there is one coil slightly closer to the strings than the other coil. If you're fine with the sound of that, no problem there... it's really more of an OCD thing-- not having things aligned straight and level.

Thanks Tartan. I just checked again to make sure there was no weird optical illusion on the pickups appearing to be canted towards the middle of the guitar and sure enough .... both are significantly tilted towards the middle of the guitar. And not a small amount .. it is obvious. I really would think that would significantly affect the sound. I will put that foam under both and put new strings on it in a few days. I would be quite surprised if that did not make a noticeable difference.

I acted on the suggestion to raise the pickups in my newly purchased G5225.... but instead of using the foam rubber, I used the little round felt pads that you put on the legs of chairs and other things, to prevent scratching hardwood floors. These little pads have a tacky substance on one side.... which is very helpful for this unique purpose. I just used a heavy duty pair of scissors to cut each pad to the desired size.... both width and height. It made a huge difference in the sound especially since I had to raise the bridge a bit to get rid of a minor amount of buzzing. So the guitar sounds really terrific. Thanks for all the great input from everyone.

I am thinking about buying this guitar used in the next 24 hours for about $200. Can anyone tell me which Gretsch it is and offer any background on it. Thanks for any feedback. I am new to this forum......

– rdj

I think I just acquired this Gretsch Junior Jet it is a 2003 model made in Korea , I have not seen another like it with this headstock, I added the Chrome G volume and tone knobs, also the Grover tuner Buttons on the original Gotoh type tuners..this thing is Mint , and stays in tune and perfect intonation..I got it and a SKB Hard case for $170 today , not sure the Model # either anyone ??

I think I just acquired this Gretsch Junior Jet it is a 2003 model made in Korea , I have not seen another like it with this headstock, I added the Chrome G volume and tone knobs, also the Grover tuner Buttons on the original Gotoh type tuners..this thing is Mint , and stays in tune and perfect intonation..I got it and a SKB Hard case for $170 today , not sure the Model # either anyone ??

– bryansong

Another pic of it

Another pic of it

– bryansong

Korean made from 2003 ...there should be some info somewhere on this model junior Jet

What kind of info are looking for? A regular Junior Jet it is. Gretsch was not very constant with their logos back then.

I you read the Tartan Phantoms post from above you'll better understand the inconsistencies that Gretsch was going through at the time. They're still cool guitars. I have a transition model as well. Double cut jet She has no markings, as per serial number. It's the guitar that brought me here with questions, as well. Now I've been here for over a decade.

Register Sign in to join the conversation