General tech questions

Bigsby V base switch out?

I just bought a 59LTV and was wondering if this is possible and how hard it would be to switch out the parts on a V cut Bigsby to a reg standard Bigsby black base, or just buy a standard Bigsby and forget it lol

I don't think it would be hard to install, but I think it would be hard to find just the one piece to switch out.

Wow. I stand corrected

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gre...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gre...

– Bryan K.

I bought one from this auction to switch my vintage B7 to a B6. I wanted to salvage any parts I could. It was easy to switch out parts....except for the needle bearings. They can be tricky to remove (without destroying) and install. After it was said and done, I saved myself about $60. I was saying I should have just bought an assembled one and sold mine probably for the same price or more.

I should have just bought an assembled one and sold mine probably for the same price or more.

And there's your answer!

I should have just bought an assembled one and sold mine probably for the same price or more.

And there's your answer!

– Charlie Vegas

yeah thats what I was thinking lol, it just bugs me that they put the V on a 59, I know some had the V but I prefer the more 50's look

You basically have to destroy the pin in the hinge end plate to get it out. So that's one thing to replace ($20) The needle bearings are not included (about $8 x2) You could savage the rest of the parts. It seems simple but it's the labor the makes it a pain. I was lucky enough to have a machine shop friend who assembled it for me. The fittings where the needle bearings go were in rough shape. They needed to be sanded. I believe he made the fittings slightly larger and loctited the needle bearing in place. You have to make sure they go in straight. It is a pretty easy mod if you have the right tools. But, for $120 on eBay, you could buy the B6 already assembled. Then, it's just a couple of screws on the end plate and you're done. Then sell the old Bigsby to cover the cost.

I love the V-cut Bigsby. I do the opposite - I have changed the blackout Bigsby to a V-cut on a few. I like it because it's less generic and more Gretsch.

I love the V-cut Bigsby. I do the opposite - I have changed the blackout Bigsby to a V-cut on a few. I like it because it's less generic and more Gretsch.

– JimmyR

Me too. I always switch out the blackout for a nice V-cut. They just look better.

Register Sign in to join the conversation