General tech questions

Bigsby spring height… Easy Adjustment!

Ok, say if your bigsby handle wasn't sitting high enough for your liking... I found an easy quick fix. Take the hard rubber washer used for your sink faucet and slip it between the bigsby spring and the under side of the handle. Not where the normal white washer is on the bottom side of the bigsby, the top side. It worked perfectly!!! I did this to one of my guitars tonight and I can't say enough. I know there have been people looking for bigger springs to cure this, but this is an excellent solution to a problem plauging a lot of people! Have fun! Chris
Good idea Wenzel. I purchased a 1" Bigsby spring for my Electromatic. The original one was shorter and had a washer in there too. The new spring feels 'sprongier' :?::grin: and smoother. It makes my Bigsby handle sit higher too.
A penny works great too... and makes the guitar worth more! One cent more :grin:
bluehugh2 said: A penny works great too... and makes the guitar worth more! One cent more
Great, then I'd have to revise my instrument insurance policy.
The problem I find with using a penny is that it reduces the cup size that holds the spring in place causing it to pop out from time to time. It works, yeah, but my washer idea worked better for me. I tried both! :grin:
Wenzel said: The problem I find with using a peeny is that it reduces the cup size that holds the spring in place causing it to pop out from time to time. It works, yeah, but my washer idea worked better for me. I tried both!
Sounds better with a vintage penny. :nice:
My Bigsby arm is TOO high!!! When I swing it back to put the guitar away hit scrapes the tail-piece of the bigsby itself (though of course I lift it up to prevent this... do I need a new spring?
You either need a new spring, or more likely the spring isn't sitting in the cup all the way. Pull up on the handle and push the spring toward the tail and see if it "pops" in. I have had that problem a time or two. You may be using super light strings too, but I seriously doubt that the handle would scrape, even with 9 gauge strings on a gretsch...
thanks wenzel, I'll have another look... 11 gauge strings.
jameslynch said: My Bigsby arm is TOO high!!!
There are two different lengths of springs, 1" and 7/8". There are also white nylon spacers that may be installed at the factory. A one inch spring, a spacer & light strings will have your Bigsby pointing towards Neptune.
I suppose I could start by removing the white nylon spacer... unless it serves some other function that I should leave it for...
Bend the bar...worked for me
I went for the shorter spring..8 bucks and my handle is in the perfect place :cool:
Thanks for the info Chris, I've been fighting a to low bigsby on that corvette. One up!
The new spring feels 'sprongier'
That's why I recommended 1" springs as the best mod for electromatics.
jameslynch said: I suppose I could start by removing the white nylon spacer... unless it serves some other function that I should leave it for...
Toss it. It's just a spacer.
My Power Tenny has the longer 1" spring, which I found to be slightly too high for me (a little hard to reach with my smallish hands). I tried a genuine Bigsby 7/8th spring and found that to be a little too low and I especially didn't like the feel (not enough travel or "spring" in the arm). Out of exasperation I put the 1" spring back in without the nylon washer and it felt perfect and have been very happy since then. I haven't noticed any ill effects from not having the nylon washer in there for the past year. Hopefully, it's like pulling the tag off the matress that says "do not tear off" :grin:
Gretschadelphia said: Hopefully, it's like pulling the tag off the matress that says "do not tear off"
Could I please have your street address? My associates from the mattress police will be there shortly to kick your door down. :nice: If we let this go unchecked pretty soon nobody will have tags on their mattresses or washers under their Bigsby springs. What kind of world would we have then?!?!?!?!?!? CHAOS! That's what we'd have!
removed the white nylon spacer..... ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!! thanks all!!
I thought the spacer will also prevent the dents of the spring to wear off the metal parts?? .As i had that problem in the bigsby of my 72 Es335. :omg:
I put in a 1" Bigsby spring but didn't like how high the handle sat. How crummy is the stock spring in the 5120? Is it worth getting a 7/8" replacement? Will I be able to tell the difference?
One thing to look out for is that the springs on import (licensed) Bigsbys are different than the US ones - as said, putting a US spring on an Electromatic will soften up the feel considerably. Also note that, unlike a Strat vibrato, a Bigsby isn't really meant to ride low to the body. The tall handle works best when worked by your little finger, or nestled in your palm. You certainly can lower it if that's what you prefer, but you'll lose some wiggle range.
Alright, I'm hooked on the idea. Where do you get a 1" US Bigsby spring?
eBay. (I got mine from Blackrider.)

Register Sign in to join the conversation