General tech questions

Bigsby Parts Sources

I have an Epi ES 295 with a failry good Bigsby but the handle pivot is in need of re-build. The pivot bolt is not the same as a true bigsby, and I want to replace the 6.5" handle/stud/washers/nut/spring/knuckle as a unit- as would be done with a arm style change to a Chet, or Duane style, but I only see the longer 8" handles sold with the swivel knuckle as a composite unit. Where can I get a 6.5" handle (stainless) complete with the stud/washers/spring/nut/ and knuckle assembly?

I saw that one last night. Unfortunately I believe it is the standard 8" and not the short 6.5" handle. But yes, that is what I mean. I need the shorter 6.5" handle The problem I have is if I go for the longer handle, when it is spun around and over the back of the Bigsby for going into the case, the 8" handle would not fit and extend past the end of the guitar.

I think you are correct, it is the standard length handle. I've never seen a short assembly for sale. In a worst case scenario, you may have to either (A) adapt your existing arm, or (B) have a longer handle cut down to your desired size, which any good machine shop could cut, grind and buff in under 5 minutes.

Is your Epi Bigsby domestic or import? An Electromatic thread revealed that you can't use one for the other. I was getting around to selling off a couple of domestic 8" SS assemblies for $20 each. You could shorten the handle yourself.

Or get a USA made B700...

Oh,I thought the B700's were import; maybe I confused them with B70's which are IIRC. I think it was something with different diameter string shafts; someone wanted to put a DE handle on and couldn't do it without widening the armature hole.

I would contact WD Products. They can order the specific Bigsby parts you need if you can't find them online. I tried to find a gold handle shaft for a B12G without luck until WD ordered it for me. They were pretty fast as well.

Oh,I thought the B700's were import; maybe I confused them with B70's which are IIRC. I think it was something with different diameter string shafts; someone wanted to put a DE handle on and couldn't do it without widening the armature hole.

– lx

B70 AND B700 are both imports.

B7 is made in USA.

So if the Epiphone 295 (Scotty Moore model) is a parallel braced hollow body with no dowels from front to back I am starting to wonder why the heck did Epiphone put a B700 on there anyway? (Yes I know Scotty didn't use a Bigsby, but that's another discussion) The B700 uses a down pressure bar on a floating bridge....that is not very smart in my opinion. Maybe I should consider replacing with a B6 and taking some undue pressure off the archtop- and maybe it will improve the guitar sound at the same time.....give the top some life.

I have a 6120 KS that has a gold B6 and looking at the two I think the B6 would cover the holes also.

Looks Like Elderly is a good Bigsby resource, from some internet browsing. Thinking of going that route with the B6.

Use of a Bigsby with a tension bar will depend more on the pitch/angle/height of the fretboard rather than the body bracing. If the 295 has a shallow neck angle in relation to the bridge height, then a B6 could be problematic; which is possibly why the B7/70/700 series w/ tension bar was chosen.

I have got Bigsby parts from Elderly Instruments before. They have a big range of that stuff.

I saw that too, but there doesn't seem to be any means of ordering from them on the site.

Thanks! I have ordered the handle!

Register Sign in to join the conversation