General tech questions

Bigsby, answer to a question no one asked.

How much of the string doesn't touch the shaft of the Bigsby?

It looks about to where the loop ends and the twists start. On the lightest strings, maybe a bit past that.

I don't have an inspection mirror or an endoscope camera, that's the best image I could make, the reflection on a knife. Sorry!

Here's an idea for the engineering types, instead of a pin, why not have a hook like on an Oettinger finger tailpiece or a headless guitar? Maybe the string would break more often. On the finger tailpiece, when tuning up, the string pops out of the hook more than you would expect, and the ball of a broken string remains in there until it is extracted.

A solution without a problem. Are you a software developer?

“The truth is not found in seeking more answers but in asking fewer questions.”

A brilliant philosophy I heard awhile ago. I too am always looking for the “idea” that will change the face of the earth, even if it is only for a small section of guitar players.

The string thru design seems to address your contact issue yet this one is up for sale for a handsome price! https://reverb.com/p/bigsby...

– Hipbone

This is for the "one born every minute" crowd.

Sold by a guy claiming to run a "fine instrument repair and muffler shop".

The seller is an extremely well educated Bigsby aficionado and a fine craftsman - used to be quite active here. I'm sure there is a reason behind his valuation.

$1000 for a B7? Nuts. Regardless of whatever pedigree it’s purported to have.

The string thru design seems to address your contact issue yet this one is up for sale for a handsome price! https://reverb.com/p/bigsby...

– Hipbone

The question I was trying to answer for myself was, can you fit something between the string and the shaft, and the answer is, if it is very thin.

I just thought it could be of interest to someone, you don't see that part guitar very often.

The question I was trying to answer for myself was, can you fit something between the string and the shaft, and the answer is, if it is very thin.

I just thought it could be of interest to someone, you don't see that part guitar very often.

– hammerhands

I guess “Bigsby” could mill the shaft so that the string made full contact. I guess the question is would it make any kind of discernible difference?

I wasn't thinking about sound, just if I could put something there and remove it.

How about a copper wire? You could find a gauge that would fit snugly in that space.

$1000 for a B7? Nuts. Regardless of whatever pedigree it’s purported to have.

– Bob Howard

Actually, not all that crazy. It's a 50's B7, which is extremely rare to begin with, it has a 56 "duane" handle making it even more rare. it's what would be on a late 50's Les Paul or 335, and considering the price on those now, it's not weird for a period original, hard to get part of those to be on the expensive side.

Actually, not all that crazy. It's a 50's B7, which is extremely rare to begin with, it has a 56 "duane" handle making it even more rare. it's what would be on a late 50's Les Paul or 335, and considering the price on those now, it's not weird for a period original, hard to get part of those to be on the expensive side.

– WB

damn skippy!!

– WB

damn skippy!!

– WB

Does it work better than a modern one or is it just the groovy factor that makes it worth 7 times the price?

Register Sign in to join the conversation