General tech questions

Are USA-made Bigsbys significantly better than -0 series imports?

Mutatis mutandis, do they perform or feel better than the Asian licensed models?

The V-cut Bigsby on my 6120 looks cooler than the licensed Bigsby on my 5120. I detect no functional difference between the two. Truth be told, differences between the two guitars are minor and mostly cosmetic. TV Classics on both instruments give nearly identical sounds.

The precision in the domestic is greater than with the imports: bearings vs. nylon sleeve. Does that make a difference in the real world? Some say yes, some say they don't think so. If it was me and I had a choice, I'd go American. I actually did when I put a B7G on an Epiphone Sheraton II, but I wouldn't turn down a guitar I wanted because it had an imported Bigsby. I am really a sucker tho' for the manufacturers' models, i.e., the V-cut B6, the Guildsbys, the Hagstrom Bigsby, etc. I also prefer the look of the domestic, but you asked about performance.

The B7s on the new center block Gretsches would be a lot more acceptable to me if they made them with the V cutouts like the non-tension Gretschbys.

The licensed are not the same and brittle crap because they're Die cast unlike the real ones that are Sand Cast. The bearing issue is huge too, come on.. a nylon sleeve? Whiners can buy used, all day and all night for cheap.. I've got 5 extra bigsby's laying around because they are often avail for $50, never know when youre next guitar is going to be begging for one. :)

It's a case of "you get what you pay for".

These last three replies are what I was looking for: explanation of qualitative benefit of the USA sandcast models. Bearing material and stiffness of parts like the handle make for an improved whammy experience, I would venture.

Anyone selling a used B6 or B11 (the models without tension bar or screws in the top) let me know!

Prices on the U.S. ones have generally gone down - if you shop around a little, the U.S. version might be 20 bucks more - might as well do it right and get the really good stuff!

You can't put a Duane Eddy handle on the imported ones.

You guys are free to send me one of those $50 V Bigsby B6 I have the perfect home for it

They both feel and sound the same if the spring is of the same lenght. The longer spring is better, and if you put that on the cheaper one on B60 it's just like B6. (Except the looks).

You can't put a Duane Eddy handle on the imported ones.

– lx

...of course you can, you‘ve just gotta ream the brackethole a tiny bit. But I‘ve gotta agree with Tavo, the US bigsbys are the better deal- except the licensed Guildsby which is perfectly worked.

Here is a question, I have the 5420t which has the Korean Bigsby. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

I have the Reverend spring on the way. But are there bits that can be replaced with better bits that might improve it?

Here is a question, I have the 5420t which has the Korean Bigsby. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

I have the Reverend spring on the way. But are there bits that can be replaced with better bits that might improve it?

– Mr_Christopher

Short answer: no.

Short answer: no.

– Stefan

Thanks, the taller spring will help but I only do gentle sweeps now and then so the fact mine isn't up to the quality of the originals isn't a deal. I'll replace it if I ever find the V one at a bargain price. Mainly because I like the look, the added quality is a bonus.

Register Sign in to join the conversation