General tech questions

Anyone else not like the Synchrosonic/Melita Bridge?..

After having my Club for two weeks, i come to really dislink the Synchrosonic bridge..

Its just uncomfortable, even with those low profile screws i dont think ide like it. It just seems to suck tone and sustain. Just seems overcomplicated.

Now Dyna's, they are a wonderfull invention. The way the magnets and adjustment screws work, Beautifull! :D

I had do ditch my Synchro after a few weeks. It felt comfortable enough to me with some hardware store screws, but tweaking the adjusters to get rid of rattles/moving saddles was driving me crazy. I bought a tuneomatic - better, but it's the wrong radius. That's OK, I needed the base anyway. Hopefully Santa brings me a TruArc.

Lots of players don't appreciate the anachronistic qualities of the Melita Syncrosonic.

If tone and sustain are what you are after I'd recommend a Tru-Arc.

I put short screws on mine and it was tolerable. Then one day I caught my sleave on one of the tabs and bent it and pulled the bridge all out of wack. I ditched it shortly after for a T.A.

They're an abomination. An electrified rattle-o-matic with barbed wire wrapped around it is more comfortable.

Dynas, well, I'm just going to agree with Chet Atkins.

Melitas are somewhat of an acquired taste I guess, not for me in any case.

DeArmonds aren't the easiest pickups to dial in, but once you get them in that sweet spot - wow!

Ah luv muh Dynas, but I will agree that the tune-o-matics I've used have been more comfortable than the Synchrosonic/Melita on my 'Club. BUT, while I wouldn't mind putting a tru-arc on, I'm worried about intonation issues, since this ex-shredder still likes to occasionally venture well above the 12th fret.

Ellen, I haven't played a T-A, but I had 2 RBBs and the intonation was on. Same goes for for the Space Control. I think you'd be ok.

As for the Melita, I'm totally convinced they are made from dead puppies and evil. I can't even play a guitar that has one for more than 5 minutes.

Again, there are no intonation issues with a Tru-Arc. Delay no more.

The Melita is definitely a personal choice to make. I thought I would be tempted to change mine out for a Bigsby but, alas, I like having the Melita on there too much to do it.

My melita is available to anyone that wants it :) :) :)

Not a fan.

-- crowbone

C'mon Crowbone...this is a "genuine" gretsch piece!!!! in 60 years from now, it'll be in demand :P :P :P

Melitas are definitely an acquired taste. Like any other bridge, they "work" for certain instruments, (my Knotty Pine Roundup, for example) but are not so good for others. To-may-to, To-mah-to, Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to. Whatever works for you.

I happen to like the way it sounds on my 6130KP, but I'm not sure that I'd use it on other instruments.

I don't like any bridge with protruding hardware such as screws or sharp saddles. Just too uncomfortable on the palm, and especially horrible on the knuckles. See here: this was right after a gig where my old TOM bridge acted like a cheese grater...

Been there Judd. That's why I have a Space Control, Compton, and Bigsby comp. Fingers take forever to heal.

I like my Melita.

I've become addicted to the pain of grinding the fleshy side of my hand down enough to attain the palm-muting effect. You have to do it fairly hard, to hit the strings right where they meet the bridge (not further up where you'll go badly sharp).

I'm thinking little spikes instead of the regular thumbscrews would enhance the pleasure/pain effect.

Been there Judd. That's why I have a Space Control, Compton, and Bigsby comp. Fingers take forever to heal.

-- Ripley1046

Yep. That was the last gig I played with that piece o shite bridge.

I don't like the Melita on my Jet Firebird. I find it uncomfortable. I'm going to put a bar bridge on my DSW and swap the compensated Bigsby to the Jet.

I had one on a 6128TCG I bought. Most uncomfortable bridge I have ever played, plus I hated the cheesy plastic base that came with it. I have since had a Tru-Arc and 2 Comptons on it (searching for my favorite metal tone). All the replacement bridges were a huge improvement in sustain and comfortability. Happily I am now a Melita-free zone!

Ellen, I haven't played a T-A, but I had 2 RBBs and the intonation was on. Same goes for for the Space Control. I think you'd be ok.

As for the Melita, I'm totally convinced they are made from dead puppies and evil. I can't even play a guitar that has one for more than 5 minutes.

– Cory Ripley

Hmmmm......must consider doing so. I'm just not sure what material, this hard rockin, and sometimes hard bop jazzin girl should have it made from.

Nope, can't get along with them but I have one on one of my 57 Jet Firebirds and just keep it on there because I think I should get used to it......8-)

I pretty much dislike all the Gretsch bridges. It was a weird time in history and they experimented too much.

A lot of people like the bar bridge, I guess its the one popular Gretsch bridge.

I get the idea for historical accuracy but thats about it.

At least we get a lot of bridges to discuss.

Vintage Melitas are my all time favorite bridge. Bigsby bar bridge next. Third, any flavor Fender.

I didn't dislike my melita, but I didn't miss it after I got a stainless steel tru-arc.

Ellen, after trying stainless steel I haven't felt the need. to try another TA.

Register Sign in to join the conversation