General tech questions

Anybody ever put binding in f-holes?

Just for the heck of it... My 5120 would look hot with bound f-holes. I'm thinking the factory surfaces might not be square enough...

I've done it on a vintage Anniversary and a 5120. Both Black. Black guitars F-holes disappear unless they are bound as they are usually defined by their blackness. You can make a little flat stick sanding 'block' if you want to square up the edge prior to binding. Use a thinner binding as it's easier to bend around the round ends. I made mine in 6 pieces with mitered corners and used thicker crazy glue and masking tape. Sometimes spacers works too. Patience is necessary, careful with the crazy glue(though generally it can be buffed out of finishes), swearing a lot and a movie to watch helps.

I have been super tempted to try this on my Sorrento. Progress pics if you attempt it, please!

I've done it on a vintage Anniversary and a 5120. Both Black. Black guitars F-holes disappear unless they are bound as they are usually defined by their blackness. You can make a little flat stick sanding 'block' if you want to square up the edge prior to binding. Use a thinner binding as it's easier to bend around the round ends. I made mine in 6 pieces with mitered corners and used thicker crazy glue and masking tape. Sometimes spacers works too. Patience is necessary, careful with the crazy glue(though generally it can be buffed out of finishes), swearing a lot and a movie to watch helps.

– Toxophilite

This is encouraging! I'll skip the headstock because I'm not going at it with a router, but I'm careful and very used to driving tools; barring any red flags and DON'T DO IT-type advice, I'll probably give it a go. I'll start under the pick guard ;)

This is the kinda crap that happens when I'm in a gig dry spell. I'll write a couple songs, too...

Regarding that 1951 catalog, I'm not saying they never did f-holes that way, but that catalog has almost all of them that way. And I'm not 100% sure I've ever seen them like that (though I think I have), and there's no question that the overwhelming majority from that era had pointy bound f-holes. I have to think some artistic license or an intended redesign of the f-holes for 1951 that never materialized must be the explanation.

I thought I saw one years ago for sale on reverbay: the binding was separating and coming off. I thought that Gretsch converted to the pointy version we all love because it would be easier to bind than the notched versions. Ed would probably know.

The pictures in these catalogs are drawings with occasional inaccuracies. Just look at the headstock.

I’ve done it a few times, Sharpie caps work well keeping the round part tight.

– Curt Wilson

What is that bridge? Looks more like an auto scissor jack.

– Curt Wilson

That is beautiful.

Snazzy binding on that bass.

Thanks for pointing out the non pointy ends...make that 10 pieces! I think both times I used binding that was almost 3/32" thick almost an 1/8. Something thinner would be easier. The sharpie lid idea is a good one. And as it black you can just use white and it will make them jump out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation