Other Guitars

Guild Newark Street M-75 Aristocrats

I'm starting to see them at lower prices than usual on eBay. Is there a blowout brewing? I'd really like to play one before a purchase. The neck is narrower than I'd like and some reviews have indicated they a somewhat neck heavy.

Any feedback from owners of this model on the forum?

I'm guessing the dealers lowering the price are getting rid of unsold FMIC stock now that Cordoba owns/distributes Guild.

I'm not an owner, but I've played a few, and IMO, they're probably one of the closest reissues of any guitar ever to come out of Korea at a price point like that. The pickups are a little hotter than on a vintage example, but otherwise, they're amazingly similar.

Thanks Walter. Any thoughts on the neck width or being neck heavy? I think I can deal with the 1.65" nut width, but neck dive would be a non-starter. They sure sound good in the demos i've seen/heard.

I had one, surprisingly didn't bond with it. It wasn't neck heavy at all.

I have both the Newark and custom shop versions. Both are really quite good and not neck heavy at all. Bill Light did a review and comparison to his vintage one on this site someplace.

Thanks gents. Looks like I'll have to buy one.

I do really want a single coil hollowbody. And these are cheaper than saing for a dyna jet. I just can't seem to find a short Guild bigsby that would fit on them. I also wish they came in that rad walnut brown colour like Walter's.

Pseudoman, I don't have an Aristocrat, and I don't have any walnut colored guitars..? You must be thinking of someone else's guitar..?

Thanks Walter. Any thoughts on the neck width or being neck heavy? I think I can deal with the 1.65" nut width, but neck dive would be a non-starter. They sure sound good in the demos i've seen/heard.

– Caliban335

Not neck heavy, the body's just a lot (a whole lot!) lighter than what you tend to expect from a Les Paul shaped guitar.

Re : nut width - they don't feel cramped to me, but I've been playing vintage spec telecasters and vintage Guilds forever, so the average modern Gretsch feels too wide for me. Add to that I don't have very big hands, so I don't really get all the "small nut width" comments I read about various guitars. Never really bothered me any.

I don't really get all the "small nut width" comments I read about various guitars. Never really bothered me any.

Me neither. And I have fairly big mitts. In 25 years of playing dozens of guitars, I've only ever measured the nut width one of them. And that was because it struck me as unusually wide.

Thanks to all for the commentary and guidance. I have purchased one of the Newark Street M-75s and look forward to playing it.

I stand corrected Walter. I figured this was your's, until I went back and re-read the thread just now.

Ah, yes, that guitar. I wish! Not the greatest picture - in person and better lighting, that guitar is actually a lot more red than the pic would have you think, more like a typical similar era Starfire in that Cherry/mahogany finish.

Well if it was brown, it'd be pretty cool. If I hadn't seen that, I'd probably be content with the sunburst on the reissues.

Does anyone know which factory produces the Newark Street line? Just curious.

Zzounds has a blemished one for sale for $805.00. I would jump on it if I was in the market.

Does anyone know which factory produces the Newark Street line? Just curious.

– Caliban335

Caliban, I assume that it is still SPG, the same company that makes the Korean Electromatics. They do a good job.

Register Sign in to join the conversation