The Workbench

6121 restoration?

I'm confused. Did you do this twice? I saw a nasty crack running from the first repair; not in the second. Having dabbled in a similar repair I'm curious what went on here. Someone on the GDP once said "never trust anything that used to be a tree" and the more I try to work with wood the more I appreciate the observation. Do tell.

Was that a knot?

– hammerhands

No it was a “football” repair that someone did previously.

I'm confused. Did you do this twice? I saw a nasty crack running from the first repair; not in the second. Having dabbled in a similar repair I'm curious what went on here. Someone on the GDP once said "never trust anything that used to be a tree" and the more I try to work with wood the more I appreciate the observation. Do tell.

– lx

This is a different one, I’m working on three of them plus a Silverjet.

Aligning the grain on that repair is amazing! The fingerboard at the frets looks a little nasty. Does it just need a good cleaning or are the frets coming out?

Nice job as always Curt. Questions...how does this happen or did this happen rather and two,is that a plug in the side of the neck heel in the cutaway normal?

Nice job as always Curt. Questions...how does this happen or did this happen rather and two,is that a plug in the side of the neck heel in the cutaway normal?

– Michael Williams

The plug is normal since it was built past 1958.

I don’t know how it happened but the guitar has had a couple serious jolts.

the frets came to me like that, I might have to replace them.

The plug is normal since it was built past 1958.

I don’t know how it happened but the guitar has had a couple serious jolts.

the frets came to me like that, I might have to replace them.

– Curt Wilson

Oh ok..gotcha,not a vintage guru of any sorts. I’ve just never seen or paid attention to a plug in that location.On the backside or the heel is where I normally see the plugs on vintage models.I love the work you do on these old pieces ...maybe if I’d stop restoring old AC tractors I’d like to buy an old Jet :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation