The Workbench

6120PI: Poison Ivy Signature Model

Poison Ivy is my all time favorite guitarist, and I wanted a Gretsch like her 1958 6120. But I can’t afford a 1958 6120 so I modded my 1995 6120-60.

TV Jones Ray Butts Filter’Trons and wiring harness.

Bigsby B3

Custom pickguard with her sig in the sign post, and plain pickup rings from Quick Guards.

More pics below.

Thanx for looking!

Man that's cool! I see a thread like this and it makes me regret selling my orange 6120. LOL

Custom Pickguard with Ivy’s Signature and 1958 style plain pickup rings courtesy of Quick Guards.

Man that's cool! I see a thread like this and it makes me regret selling my orange 6120. LOL

– Devil's Tool

Thanx! Yeah, I had to make it happen because I doubt Gretsch ever will!

That pickguard is a super nice touch - Dig IT!!

Got good taste.

Nice!

p.s. She's the queen

– Devil's Tool

I know what you mean, had my 58, 6120 for 40 years. It just became time to move her on to an active player. I'm just happy for the time I spent with her. Still have two Gretschs left.

Too cool, that B3 was a must!

She had a '90's 6120 in the Cramps' later touirng years as well as the '58 "Big O."

She had a '90's 6120 in the Cramps' later touirng years as well as the '58 "Big O."

– lx

Yessir, she had a 90’s 6120w with the ceramic Filtertrons, western inlays, and the painted on G brand, same one Rev Horton Heat used in the 90’s. I’d love to own one of those someday.

For The Cramps last tour in Europe she used a 6120jr. She had said at that point she didn’t like taking the 58 too far from home.

I had an '89 6120 and with the heavy body construction it felt and played like a heavy trestled '58. I never got on with the ceramic pickups as I don't usually dime the amp. I do remember witnessing a friendly duel between Brian Setzer and Jim Heath in the early '90's and Heath's 6120 had a nasty snarl. I could see Ivy being happy with those, but I bet she'd prefer the Ray Butts versions, which are hairier like the old Filtertrons.

I had an '89 6120 and with the heavy body construction it felt and played like a heavy trestled '58. I never got on with the ceramic pickups as I don't usually dime the amp. I do remember witnessing a friendly duel between Brian Setzer and Jim Heath in the early '90's and Heath's 6120 had a nasty snarl. I could see Ivy being happy with those, but I bet she'd prefer the Ray Butts versions, which are hairier like the old Filtertrons.

– lx

Yeah man, this guitar is just a tone-post, BUT it definitely has weight (5-ply top, thick sides). With the Ray Butts it sounds really woody. In an interview Ivy said she was all about her 58 with the 1st year Filtertrons. That’s what’s on all the recordings from 85 on.

My guitar had the ceramics, which I think are great sounding pickups, but I wanted this guitar to be closer in tone to her 58 so I got the Ray Butts, and boy is it ever!

That is exceptional!

I thought Gretsch may have released one ,

That is exceptional!

I thought Gretsch may have released one ,

– eCastro

Not yet! I’m sure I’m not the first person to attempt a DIY one though.

I'm struggling with Ray Butts pickups, so much so that I'm thinking of moving on to some classics again. I have both and find the Butts seem to be a bit wooly, lacking in snap and Twang compared to classics.

I'm struggling with Ray Butts pickups, so much so that I'm thinking of moving on to some classics again. I have both and find the Butts seem to be a bit wooly, lacking in snap and Twang compared to classics.

– Vince_Ray

I just wrote you a long winded reply on the GT thread

Register Sign in to join the conversation